Aeonyx
Aeonyx asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 10 years ago

Should the (future) president of the United States be a cult member?

Say what you will about various religions and religion in general, but many mainstream faiths are around 2000 years old... some Eastern faiths are closer to 6000 years old. So, lets assume that our hypothetical candidate demonstrates a number or successes in and out of the political arena. With the exception of his bizarre faith, (lets say its around 100 years old) he is an intelligent, well respected member of society. He is married with children, has bountiful real estate holdings and tons of excess money to spend on his election campaign. In stark contrast, his faith is completely shunned by the academic and theological community. Its writings are full of historical, logistical and grammatical errors, as well as a myriad of corrections, blatant plagiarism, occult references and fanciful claims that contradict both the closest similar faith and common sense itself. Is this person of sound mind and body? Even if we put aside all (impossible to confirm or deny) potential conspiracy theories about the upper echelons of his religion trying to take over the presidency, can this person really be allowed to make life and death decisions for the most powerful country on earth if he can't tell the difference between the most ridiculous of cults and a genuine, religion which has stood the test of time and expert scrutiny for centuries?

• Chris

You mean like if someone with a sketchy past claimed they dug up a gold tablet (which would weigh like a thousand pounds) and said they had to read it with special stones, and nobody else was allowed to look at it, but that they were supposed to do whatever that one person said, even if it conflicted with the spirit and intent of what the foundation of that religion was supposedly built upon? I'd say that person, no matter how educated or rich they were, would not be someone I'd want to put my faith in.

From a logical perspective- they are unreasonable to the point of being scary.

From a religious perspective- they would be endorsing a false prophet, and encouraging behavior inconsistent with my religion, and following that train of thought they could possibly an agent of evil.

Source(s): Believe it or not, the southpark episode on this cult is very informative. ---edit--- wow, someone else referenced the southpark episod! SWEEET!

So no one is even going to bring up Romney?

I think a Mormon would be a whole lot better than a Secular Humanist. I will take a quote from South Park:

"All I ever did was try to be your friend, Stan, but you're so high and mighty you couldn't look past my religion and just be my friend back. You've got a lot of growing up to do, buddy. Suck my balls."

To quote G Bush Snr (I think) It's the economy stupid!. Whoever has a constructive plan for fixing the economy is the person to vote for, and I don't care if they believe that we are descended from aliens that only appeared to rich authors on a boat in in the Caribbean whilst surrounded by young women in bikinis!

• Matt

Are you talking about that kook Perry who belongs to the cult of Christianity, as opposed to the one true religion of Judaism?

• Hey I thought Kennedy did get elected President. That's why the Catholic Church now rules this country.

Or were you talking about some one else?

Yeah i wouldn't want a whack job like that in office. Mormons, Jehovah's, and scientologists certainly lead in that category.

The current one already is, a cult of personality. Like in North Korea.

Explain what would be any different from the Islamic Socialist who's in office now.