Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Help Creating "90's Style" Hip-Hop?

So, I make hip-hop beats as a hobby, and rap a little. I use Cubase, a Casio MIDI controller, and an AT2020 mic for vocals.

I prefer the more 90's sound that hip-hop had, and want to get it myself, but can't. I don't know if there was some specific synth(s) that gave it that sound, different effects, or what...

Does anyone have tips on how to get that "90's sound"?

Favorite Answer

Are you trying to make it sound more like the 90s sound of East Coast or West Coast?

90s hip hop sampled a lot of jazz records, 70s funk, used analog systems, pianos, and 808 drum machines. The sound is easy to recognize, but I honestly do not know exactly what type of equipment they used.

I recommend trying to listen to some 90s songs (from all sides of the US) to distinguish the sounds because 90s had a lot of styles of hip hop: horrorcore, alternative hip hop, hardcore hip hop, G-Funk, rap rock, NY style, hip hop/R&B, etc. I'm honestly also interested in how to produce 90s style hip hop.

I've done my research and have ideas: MPC 2000XL(drum machine), any synthesizer, smooth pads, lots of bass, real keyboard/piano, etc.

I went to the positioning you provided and lost interest in it. they are combining hip-hop with rap or varieties of rap that do come off as indignant and a few hip-hop has advantage and is not any longer sending a unfavorable message. Will it save the black united statesa.? Hip hop and rap have had a protracted-term and it hasn't been all blacks listening or producing the kind of musical expression.. the venture is the variety interior the 1st place between the races( which song seems to someway brings the two at the same time) and interior the gangster rap kind of song that's greater real existence and not as uplifting to those that do no longer particularly desire to take heed to it. Freedom of expression is legal however the question is "Will human beings become bored of listening to it?" (The indignant variations) and that i think of particular. the two blacks and whites. If the message has a fact to it, an accuracy for the craze it particularly is expressed and could make somebody see that devoid of turning them off, i think of it would desire to nonetheless artwork. i will''t agree or disagree to your unique question, through fact for a lot of who does not have made it any opposite direction or had a non-end hard existence before everything, this grow to be a fashion out.