Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

Do cats act differently after earthquakes?

Where I live, early this afternoon we had some strong aftershocks. I wasn't at home when it happened but I heard it was very bad on the floor I live on. Now that I am home my kitten is acting very weird. He is normally very playful, cuddly, and will follow me for room to room. As of right now he he wont play with any toys, or come near me. I know they can feel them before they happen and react to them, but it this the same with afterword? Just wondering!

Favorite Answer

I was home with my 3 when it happened.

All three of them hid and one of them stayed under the sofa for at least an hour afterward.

So your kitten may have been frightened but I think he should be over it by now.

I think that you should give your vet a call now before they close and ask whether s/he thinks your kitten needs to be checked out - for something besides being frightened by the earthquake. It is better be err on the safe side, especially with kittens because if there really is a health issue a kitten can go downhill very quickly.

I live in NYC and we had a little shaking only. When I got home after work, my 1 year old cat was also acting completely weird. He was trying to hide behind the hot water heater in the bathroom. And he avoided going anywhere near the windows at the front of my apartment. I think he was probably on the windowsill when it struck.

But this morning, when we got up, he was his old self again, ran right to his usual perch on the windowsill. So I think maybe there is some truth to the old wives' tale about cats and earthquakes. I guess they can feel it and are weirded out by it.

Yeah. My cat ran onto my lap and was shakking its 6 months old and it was scared after the dramatic scare. Afterwards i gave him a massage and a warm bath cuz he likes to bath he was calmer and fell asleep. I put peace candles around him meditation bed and the dream catcher hopfully it will remove exess fear from the earthquake shock.

I sat down to avoid the slipping and fear so my cat joined me.

Im no afraid I know god made the earthquake for a reason so i sat and expireinced.

Source(s): Peace,yoga

I felt the earthquake too! Im in NJ.. Our cat hid under the bed and won;t come out. He never hides there unless something really freaked him out.. Your cat will get over it, hes probably freaked too. Just pick him up and talk to him and encourage him to play, kind of like reassuring him and he will forget about it.

Try some treats too. Good luck!

Yes he'll be acting differently, it's completely normal. Many animals will actually act differently before an earthquake.

Now he's stressed, something happened he doesn't understand. He'll be skittish until he feels secure again.

Source(s): Owner of 5 cats

He is just spooked. The earthquake was pretty big everywhere Including where I am I felt it ALOT and im hours away from the center. Just let him calm down and don't crowd him

He might be shocked from the earthquake or he was hurt. Try and examine him and give him a few days. If hes still shocked from the situation, take him the vet.

Yes. Dogs can talk for about two minutes before the onset of a storm.