Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What happens if I pop positive for Valium as a nurse but prescription is from Mexico?

I use to take Xanax for anxiety. I was in Mexico had a panic attack i went to Md he gave me Valium. Dr is legal, crossed over with med and prescription. A day later I get drug screened at work the Drug officer states it's illegal since I didn't get drug in USA and tested positive for Valium. What is going to happen to my nursing license and job?

Favorite Answer

I am answering because I am a nurse and am interested in your question....however, it actually has nothing to do with travel to Mexico. It would be bet under the law and ethics section...to get better answers. I think the person that told you that is full of himself. Ask him to show you that in writing. Valium is a legal medication , not an illegal drug. There is no law or regulation against a nurse taking valium. by prescription. CALL your state board and talk to someone there about it. I have know on 3 occasions, nurses who were stealing narcotics in the hospital...the hospital dismissed them...after a loooong time, but did nothing about their licenses...the hospitals do not want the negative P.R. CALL the state board of nursing, and get a lawyer...a mean one....if the hospital persists in this attitude.

• Neerp

It depends on their policies. If what the drug officer says is true about not getting the drugs in the US, then you have failed a drug test and could loose your job. If this happens, you need to appeal it, and if necessary consult with an attorney. Sue them in a court of law if necessary so that you don't loose your nursing license.

I think what you did was just fine, but you probably need to talk to a lawyer familiar with the laws about prescriptions filled in Mexico. Don't lie down and take what ever they dish out - fight back.

Have you received a formal notification of any kind? Do you have a record of the doctor that you visited in Mexico as well as the prescription? If not, KYAGB.