Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 10 years ago

Pain on the inside of my knee?

Whenever I run, I get a sharp pain on the inside of my knee which causes me to stop and walk home. Sometimes it's also behind my knee but not every time. It can get really bad. The pain doesn't go away for hours after I've been running. What is this?

Favorite Answer

It could be a strained ligament if it hurts on the outside of the joint, especially if it hurts when you try to bend the knee sideways toward the inside.

If it hurts when the joint moves with weight on it, it could be something in the joint space, like a chunk of detached cartilage, or if you've been running a lot, perhaps more than you're accustomed to, it could just be simple "over-use" syndrome. If the latter, cut back on your mileage and don't run for a few days or a week to let the joint rebuild itself.