Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

cool asked in SportsSurfing · 10 years ago

Surfers out there. What type of workouts/training do you do to get in shapefor surfing?

If you lift wieghts please tell me hw many pounds. PLease and Thank you

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

Shoulder work is super important. Your shoulders are going to be doing most of the work when you paddle in and out of the line-up. Shoulders also drive you into the waves when you get out of the impact zone.

Work shoulders and go run a lot. Any exercise will help but surfing is the best exercise to get better at surfing.

I surf once a week, maximum twice if I'm lucky. I lift a 50 lb weight. I lay on my back and lift it up from my chest, from my chest over my head. Standing up with my knee's bent I lift the weight from the ground to my waist switching it from one arm to the other. Standing up I hold it from my chest and lift it up over my head, from my chest I turn left and right, from my chest I extend my arms and move the weight in a circular motion. It helps with paddling, duck diving, and getting up.

Source(s): I lift weights for Surfing and basketball. Im 5' 9" 170. I surf mainly a 6'3" short board but working out for a 5' 9". I also surf a 8'11" longboard when I can. :D

I do this royal marine set of home exercises every day and I use this bungee power stroke thingy. Really helps.

Source(s): UK surfer

Run up and down the beach or swim a half mile

Source(s): surfer