Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do your kids ride their bikes to school?

And what are their ages? At my kids school the bike rack is pretty empty (although he does go to a private school.) Only kids who ride to school are them (10&8) my nephew JJ (was 8) his friend Caden (10) and my God Daughter (was 10)..Is this a lost joy? Is it because parents are scared of abductors?

Some of my funnest memories were riding to school as a kid and I grew up in a high crime area. I know my kids love it, they will leave early so they can stop at the Doughnut shop, or hit up the skate park while it's empty.

What is it like where you're from? Bike kids? Bus kids? Walkers? Or mainly guardians dropping off. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

There are around 280-300 kids at my daughters elementary school. Probably 3 of them ride their bikes. Most ride the bus and maybe 50-60 of us drop our kids off and pick them up.

I take my kids to school. There are no sidewalks on our road, for one. Then the rest of the way is the main road with no sidewalks. My middle school daughter goes to school 20 miles away so I take her and pick her up, too. No way she would get there on time riding a bike for 20 miles lol .

• We live about 15-20 minutes away from the nearest school (by car) and although I haven't really thought about it since my daughter is only (almost) 4 months old, I'd like to walk her to school when possible but bike riding would also be fun to do together. We live in Canada though, so the winters may make us have to drive to school. Or take the bus. Haven't decided yet!

I wish more kids found a more physically active way to school, but the sad part is that most will just get a drive.

My younger kids walk. They are 6, 8, 10, and 11. It's not a very far walk and they often have friends with them.

My 15 year old rides the train.

There's quite a few walkers, and a lot of kids who take public transportation at my older son's school.

• ?

Yes but I ride with them. They are 12 and 9 years old.

Their school is a huge public school and the bike rack is always full, but there are also 16 busses and plenty of cars (there's always a traffic jam backed up 3 blocks at 8am around the school) and walkers too.

no, they don't.

nothing to do with abductors; only to do with heavy traffic on the roads near the school.

i'm not sure the exact percentages but i'm guessing more than half bus, most of the rest are driven home by parents, and the rest either walk home with parents or, in the case of fifth graders and up, with at least one friend.

• ?

properly I take the college bus, i'm sixteen. In my college no person takes their motorbike to college different than for one guy, i think of its ok i think plus you get workout too. yet how could you do it whilst its chilly or raining?

No, it's to far.