Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Check engine light still comes on even after replacing gas cap. What else could be wrong?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you could of also gotten bad gas and if you did you need to wait and refill it with a gas that you have been using all along and it still might take a week for the light to go out.

• 10 years ago

I'm assuming your check engine light came on and you discovered that the gas cap was loose or off.

If this is the case, you may have to start and drive your car a few separate times (could be as many as 5) before the system re-sets itself.

Give it a few days as long as nothing else seems wrong, most likely the light will disappear on its own.

• ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I agree with the other posters. Go ahead and just keep driving it for a few days and if the light doesn't reset on its own, you may have a bad seal on your gas cap.

You said you've replaced your gas cap but just to be sure, did you replace it with a new one, or just remove and reinstall the old one?

If you reinstalled the old one (which sometimes works) you may need to install a new one.

• 10 years ago

Check Engine lights can mean many different problems. Has someone run a diagnostic stating it was your gas cap? If not, you should probably get it scanned instead of throwing money at it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Hi,

If you need to download Mad Caps you can get it here for free: http://j.mp/1BDAKBF

it's completely free and it's very fast to install

You must do several fun things to succeed in Mad Caps, like shooting bullets with different kinds of guns, collect the letters to find hidden words, etc.

Check it out.

• Jeff L
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

it could still be that. it happened to someone i know and it took a week or so for the system to "re-set" itself. i would wait a little b4 thinking it is something else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.