Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 10 years ago

I NEED HELP ON MY ENGLISH FAST!?

I need to identify thies as either simple, compound or complex!!

Thousands of pilgrims come from Spain.

When an infant is in danger of death, he is to be baptized immediately.

The door opened, and we all yelled, “Surprise!”

Our Blessed Mother has appeared many times.

As the priest says the words, “This is My Body,” the bread is transubstantiated into the Body of Christ.

I rejoice when I remember the goodness of God.

Pope Pius IX was a valiant pope, and he practiced virtue to a heroic degree

Favorite Answer

Simple = one complete statement, no commas

Compound = two complete statements combined, or two stand alone sentences ~ often use 'and'

Complex = one complete statement that can stand on it's own and one that cannot (one independent and one dependent clause)

Thousands of pilgrims come from Spain. - Simple

When an infant is in danger of death, he is to be baptized immediately. - Complex, "when an infant is in danger of death" cannot stand alone, however "he is to be baptized immediately" could

The door opened, and we all yelled, “Surprise!” - complex "The door opened can stand alone"

Pope Pius IX was a valiant pope, and he practiced virtue to a heroic degree - coupound, both parts (if you take out the word 'and') can stand alone

Christian school, huh? My condolences.

I won't do your homework for you, but maybe this will help:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Simple_sentence

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Complex-compound_sentence