marie654 asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

is my betta fish sick?

last night i looked in my betta fish's (phoenix's) bowl and noticed he needed his water changed. so i put water out for him and woke up at 6 this morning to change the water. when i saw him, he appeared to be dead. he wasn't moving, even when i picked up the bowl to bring it to the sink for his water change, however he started moving when we took him out into the other water. after being changed, he was breathing very slowly and just floated in one place; no swimming, no gills moving, no moving his fins... nothing. he just recently started moving around a little bit (around 1:30 or so), but not much. my betta hasn't eaten all day. is he sick?

Favorite Answer

How long have you had him? Perhaps he's just not feeling up to moving around. My betta was like that for a while but then he was fine. That happened when I first got him, I don't think he was very healthy when I first got him, since they keep them in those cruel tiny cups.

What size tank do you have for him? And do you have any cool hidey holes? My fish started to get really active when I got him some stuff for his tank, get some fake plants and a hidey hole for him at a pet store if you don't have one yet. And he should be in at least a 10 gallon tank. Once he has that, he might be more active.

If you already have all of that, it could just be that he isn't feeling good. Try doing a water change again. It's best to only do partial changes once or twice a week vs. a full water change once in a while. That will keep him from being shocked by the new conditions in the water. Also use a water conditioner if you don't already, it gets rid of the chlorine, metals and chemicals in the water that is harmful to fish.

Try giving him new food too, my betta gets bored of his food once in a while :)

When you change betta water and you don't put stress coat in it is possible that it could just be stressed out from the change. if he has a whitish hair looking stuff in him that means he has the ick virus. Hope this helps! :)

he's just pissed of he cant write off lot of stuff on his tax returns.