Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jpb asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 10 years ago

what is the likeliness of being approved for student credit card?

I'm nervous to apply for my first credit card, I applied back when I was 19 and was denied. I now know the reasoning behind it was because the Credit Laws had changed and I was not 21 yet, but now I currently have student loans and a forced car loan under my name (car was totaled in accident and due to economy my parents credit had been ruined) although its only $5,000 and change; I'm still weary of applying, seeing as I don't want the inquiry on my credit report and then be declined like I have in the past. Its been over a year since I last applied and I've been making consecutive on-time payments on my car loan for a year and a half now. As far as my student loans they are deferred till I graduate. Will these circumstances affect my being approved for a student credit card, if so what can I do to acquire a credit card for school necessities I can't otherwise afford during the grace period between student loan disbursements? Also which card company is the best card for college students and is most likely to approve a part-time college student?

FYI: Currently to the best of my knowledge my credit scores range for the low 600's to 630's with all payments made on-time and no delinquencies, however the dealership I purchased my car from made several inquiries without notifying me first (hopefully they see that they were made all within a day or two of each other)

I guess I should of stated this but I have had a job for about a year and a half

^^the same job

Favorite Answer

You might try Discover card. They have a Student Credit Card.

But Huntsman is right. You need a job and the ability to pay.

You need a job for one year to get a credit card.

Along with sufficient income to qualify for the card