Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are my chances at book publishing?

I am writing a book and want to get it published. It is about an extraterrestrial Magi who gets kidnapped on a space mafia ship and is told she is part of an evil sorcery race called Merliniites (mer-lin-ee-ites). She and her best friends, along with her enemies, her brother, a movie star and a Peanut Butter Cookie obsessed mafia man, the travel to different worlds of magical creatures and take the strongest fighters to overthrow the supreme Council that governs everyones lives. My main character is snarky and sarastic adn her name is Rowan (weird name). The story is a sci-fantasy and really weird. In the meantime, she has dreams of a little anglo-saxon girl named Aethelthryth. This book is funny, gorey and strange.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • xo379
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you will need to find a literary (er, not literacy!) agent. The purpose of a literary agent is to sell your book to publishers. They have connections; they know the business; they know how to 'market' your book to publishers so they will want to buy the rights to it. The 'downside' of agents is that they take a cut of how much you make off your book. However, oftentimes you won't ever get published without an agent (and most likely wouldn't make as much money in the first place,) so that doesn't really matter in the long run. They are your advocate; they will get the best deal they can for you.

If you send your manuscript right to a publishing house, it goes in the 'slush pile'--basically a big pile of unsolicited manuscripts that an assistant editor goes through in his or her spare time. Almost nothing gets published from the slush pile--and some editors will throw away unsolicited manuscripts since as a policy they don't always accept them.

You will have to do some research on literary agents who specialize in the type of literature you want to publish (yours sounds like young adult science fiction.) Go to the agent's website and look up their submission guidelines. Usually you will have to include a query letter (basically a cover letter) and a few sample chapters. You will almost always submit it via mail (not e-mail) and you must ALWAYS include a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) so they can return it to you if they don't want it.

You will most likely send out a lot of these. It can be hard to find an agent. If you truly think your book is worthy of being published, keep sending out your manuscript until you get accepted by an agent.

Source(s): Used to work in book publishing in NYC
  • 10 years ago

It all depends on your situation. Some people can't find publishers then they publish it themselves. Those people sometimes have to travel to conventions so that they can try to sell some copy's. For people to publish your book you have to sell a certain amount of copy's and they gain little profit.

Wish you luck!! Hope I helped!

Source(s): Don't remeber the site. Sorry!
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Your best best would be self-publishing as an e-book.

Mixing mafia, sorcery, spaceshipes, and peanut butter cookies is too weird. It worked for Frank Herbert (Dune) though.

P.S. I hated Dune.

• 10 years ago

It depends on who your literacy agent , if you don't know who this is please find one soon. But if you already have a literacy agent, it is up to them to find a publisher for your book. Also a quick and life saving tip for you, don't give out a lot of details about your book, unless you either already have it publish, set to publish, or have it copyrighted, if not someone else [not me] could most likely steal your idea.

Source(s): I am also a author writing on some books and novels, I looked the whole process of how to publish a book down.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.