Is it possible to become a doctor without taking super advanced classes in highschool?

I'm going to be a freshman this year. Now before you think say anything, I'm a mature freshman and have already began to think about my future. At my highschool you can take a variety of classes. "on grade level", "honors", "g/t", and "a/p". I am taking two g/t classes and the rest honors. Will that be enough to get into a good college and medical school? When i become older i want to either become an anesthesiologist or a surgeon, and I know you must be very qualified to become one. Please Help!

Favorite Answer

Yes it is possible, what you do in high school has no baring on whether or not you become a doctor.

Well you don't have to take the super advanced classes in high school if you don't want to. You can put them off until college. However, as a frequent biology books reader, I would strongly recommend that you take some AP Biology and AP Chemistry in high school, because the biology books that I read, say that the human brain is faster at a younger age, your age. Therefore it will be better if you take those AP classes in high school rather than waiting.

Yes. You need not take advanced courses in high school. Medical schools do not look at your high school transcript. Your high school transcript does make a difference in which colleges accept you, though. If you get A's in advanced high school courses, more colleges are likely to accept you.

Some medical schools do not accept AP credits as prerequisites. See links below for more information.

There may be some advantage to taking AP general ed requirements in high school.

Well, yes, but if you want to be well-prepared for the math/science classes you'll have to take as pre-requisites for med school, it's a good idea to take the most rigorous of those classes in high school, too.

The website aamc.org may be helpful to you, as well as the book, "Medical School Admission Requirements", at your library.