Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I gave police a confession while intoxicated,?

I was arrested for a prank,I had a warning call that they were coming to arrest me,I was scared and had a drink while I waited for them and another while they were there,they never even asked me what I was drinking but I was pretty buzzed through all of the process,I don't even remember them reading me my rights.I didn't mention this to my lawyer because I didn't feel it was relevant.Now that I have had time to think about it Im wondering.My attorney is on vacation so I cant get in touch with him right now,Im worried.

(My boyfriend is ex police and THAT is why they called me first)

Favorite Answer

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

A drink waiting for them and one while they were there.

If they talked to you about the incident, it can be said you were voluntary and gave a statement not a confession.

Miranda is only required by a Custodial Interrogation.

G.mix,

If the officers were questioning you and you had any proof that you were intoxicated during the time that they were taking down you statements, then it would be difficult for the prosecution to use your statements in a court of law.

You must remember that it is the prosecution that must look over the evidence and put your charges before a judge, not a police officer. Your best bet is to get advice from an attorney, NOT a law enforcement officer.

As far as the Miranda rights go, they are not needed in all cases. But some court rulings have differed greatly as to how your Miranda rights must presented. It is not all that black or white. It will depend on the jurisprudence interpretation of the law that your particular judge will have when your case comes up.

If people do not like what I say, then tough. It is the truth, a police officer will not give an accurate answer to this question.

What planet do you live on? The police just happened to have your phone number and made a courtesy call to inform you of your impending arrest. They then took long enough to show up so that you could get drunk whilst waiting for them. Please...

If this isn't a troll job, get in contact with your lawyer and tell them the actual truth.

I agree with "AHSOA" as what occurred, according to your question, was you were getting arrested and taken to jail.

Rights (Miranda Warning) advisement kicks in only during a "custodial interrogation."

If you are handcuffed or sitting in a detectives office without an ability to leave while being asked certain questions...then you fall in to the category of needing Miranda.

If you were taken in to custody but not being questioned about a specific offense (asking your name, employment, address, etc) then you don't have a custodial interrogation issue.

When your attorney comes back from vacation...you should let him know what you're asking about here!

Source(s): Police Officer +30 years

Nice try, but that won't work to get you out of it. They read you your rights, and you waived them and you confessed. The "I was drink" bullcrap line has been tried a thousand times before. It isn't going top work. next time don't do any "pranks" and you won't get your *** locked up.

• ?

Lots of people in the past have incriminated themselves while intoxicated. Where was your lawyer?

If they tested you for drugs and alcohol before talking to you then you may have a case...otherwise you cant proove it.

u can say you lied but that can get u in trouble for false statment

• HD

makes no difference if you were sober or not, you confessed.