promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 9 years ago

Head meter and flow rate?

y orifice and venturi meter called head meter? explain what does this mean by head?

As we know flow rate of two types one is mass flow rate(MFR) and volumetric flow rate(VFR) i want to know where to use MFR and in which application we use VFR?

1 Answer

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Head in this case refers to the change in pressure across the orifice which is relatively small. For this reason it is typically measured in units such as inches of water or millimeters of mercury.

    As to the use of mass flow rate or volumetric flow rate, once you have one you have the other assuming you know the density at the flowing conditions.

    Typically volumetric flow rates are used for gases such as natural gas which is sold on a volumetric basis adjusted for heat content.

    Liquids are more commonly sold based on liquid volume or weight in tons. As an example, crude oil can be sold by the barrel or ton.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.