Taste of bear meat compared to beef/pork?

How to explain bear meat to someone who just had beef & pork? (chicken and fish too, but it's nowhere near)

I need something fancy to say :) I wanna have it as finely and well explained as possible.

SOMEONE WHO LIKED IT PLEASE! It's for a publication. I wanna be favourable as I enjoy wild meat.

Uhm? I don't know where I wrote I never had it.

Thanks *everyone* for your answers. Truly awesome. I'll just keep this open in case someone makes a comparison on bear with beef and pork. Thanks a bunch everyone.

Favorite Answer

How typical for a writer of the media; you write about the flavor of something you never tasted and people will believe you.

Compare wine to whisky, or bubble gum to jerky.

Bear tastes like..well bear! It takes like what its been eating. Bear eating berries has a rather nice flavor but still leaves that bitter fat flavor at the back of the tongue. Bears who eat fish or garbage taste down right nasty!

A spring bear tastes better than a fall bear. Black bears taste FAR better than grizzly of brown bears.

I will say this though. Bears find us tastier than we find them.

Edit; I forgot to add that I do like a spring black bear made into jerky, now that’s pretty darn good. But you still get that fatty flavor at the back of the tongue. But enough pepper will subdue that some. Bear roasts can be good if prepared right.

But it doesn’t taste like pork or beef.

Edit; Some who think all bears are just nasty have eaten bears that were not as clean as a bear that lived entirely in the wilderness and taken during the right time of year. Just about any place you go in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and other densely populated states have lots of roads. There are places in Montana and Idaho that’s wilderness BUT its near a road of some sort. So what do roads have to do with the taste of bear? Road kill. That’s right, that rotten dead deer, elk, rabbit or what not that the bear finds and eats. And garbage people threw on the road side. That also makes for some nasty meat. But I have killed bears in remote areas that didn’t have a road at all; anywhere. Such as the islands in the Tongass. In the spring bears eat grass and anything the can find. If there is no road kill, no salmon runs, no garbage, and no rotten meat some one threw out, then the meat isn’t bad at all. If they kill and eat a spring born moose calf or fawn it doesn’t taint the meat. I have eaten mountain lion whose diet is fresh meat and it tasted good.

So don’t let people convince you all bear meat tastes bad because that’s simply not true. The clean bear will still have a lot of fat and it will still have a gamey flavor. But if its bled out quickly, cooled down fast, aged at the right temperature for the right time then it will taste a hell of a lot better if its not.

I have eaten black bears in Arkansas, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and Alaska. Each one tasted a bit different but some were pretty darn good.

• Jack

Bear meat is a very tough, strong smelling, greasy meat. Because bears are omnivores the taste of the meat can vary a lot depending on what they have been eating. It takes on the flavor and especially the smell of what they are eating. Berries, sweet. Pine nuts, turpentine. Fish, fishy. Dead whatever, PU!!

Good luck.

Source(s): Hunted black bears.

Be prepared for a taste experience that might gag you. Bear is greasy as heck and not at all good. No comparison to pork.

Black Bear-more like beef but without all the fat. it can be a lean meat make shure to trim the fat off it makes it taste wild. if you make burger i would mix it 1/2 beef takes the wild taste out.

I like it, nothing like a good bear roast!

Source(s): exp

If the meat is processed properly, and cooked correctly then it is delicious.* Just type in " Bear Recipes " in the search area of your computer to get some recipes for them.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*.................Fly like an Eagle.*~~

it has more flavor yet still the same size as a regular beef stick

I have never had it but heard if its not done right it is greasy and real gamey.