In the original release of the lion king, was Mufasa eaten by hyenas?

Okay, I was not alive when The Lion King originally released, but my mom and brother went to see it. They said that when the movie first came out, there was a scene where Mufasa was eaten by hyenas, and that they took the movie out of theaters, took out the scene, and re-released the film that Thanksgiving.

Favorite Answer

I never saw the film in the theater...but it was a huge thing for kids NOT to see it because of the depicted death of Mufasa.

If that was in the original cut, no wonder the movie was all over the news for being inappropriate for small children...that's kinda sick.

Although hyena's are pretty disgusting and they were starving.... it would make sense from an accuracy standpoint

• gordie

Mufasa Hyenas

I saw it opening weekend and there was no such scene. I've also never heard any rumor to that effect. In the film, he was trampled to death by a herd of stampeding wildebeest. You don't find out what happens to his body.

Realistically, yes, his carcass would probably have been eaten by scavengers... potentially by hyenas, but not necessarily (especially since Scar new where the body was long before anyone else and lions are perfectly willing to eat their own dead). In terms of the movie, though, it was never depicted, because it was told primarily from Simba's point of view and he ran away immediately after his father's death.

Now Scar, on the other hand WAS attacked and killed by the hyenas at the end of the movie, and was probably eaten by them as well (though you don't see that).

Not quite, what happened was the hyenas did a drive-by on Mufasa.

They were paid by Scar to pull the hit on Mufasa. The producers felt it was too much for a family movie after the test audience results, so they pulled it and put in the current scene of Mufasa's death.

• Scott

No. I did see the movie when it first came out and its later re-release (in Imax). It's being re-released in 3D in September. He was killed by his evil brother, Scar. In fact Scar dropped him over a cliff into a stampede. The stampede was caused by hyenas so, in effect, they were also responsible. But they never ate him.

• ?

I know Scar was eaten by the hyenas for the betrayal.

Mufasa was killed in a gnu stampede which Scar's hench-hyena trio Shenzi, Banzai and Ed cause. Simba thought he did it when he roared loud enough at the chameleon he saw walking out of a nearby tree (Scar told him to practice his roar).

I know nothing of your claim.

not that I know of. The one I saw mufasa was killed by a stampede

no