promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Did Every US Infantry Man have a M1911 in WW2?

I Thought the Pistol ammo of a 45. would be more powerful than a carbine or a garand?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

the 1911 was the dominant issue side arm for the us troops, however there were still colt model 1917 revolvers which were also chambered for the 45 acp cartridge being used all through WW2.....the funny thing about the m1 carbine is that it was originally supposed to be a replacement for the 1911 sidearm, the defense dept had the idea that an untrained soldier would be able to fire a rifle more accurately than a service pistol, however due to production costs and the expenses of the war the idea was scrapped and the m1 was primarily issued to paratroopers and other more elite groups......as far as the power of each round goes, the 45 is great for close range, but is EXTREMELY slow moving(around 860-890 feet per second) it also could not travel the greater distances of a rifle cartridge....the m1 round(.30 carbine) bridges the gap between the types of ammo as an intermidiate in both distance and power....lastly the garand fired the 30-06. round, it has tremendous power gains compared to the others (close to 1800 feet per sec.) could reliably hit long range targets(documented past 1000 yards) and could reliably neutralize threats at those ranges.

Source(s): guns and ammo, life long shooter and military history buff
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • como
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i'd say that I certainly have accompanied the fortunes of guy UNITED on the grounds that 1965. In 1968 I undergo in techniques being allowed to stay wakeful and watch the ecu cup very final. Then right here yea... r i became fortunate to confirm them in action against my domicile city EXETER city. How ironic a number of those years later they have the two reached finals at Wembley . And what an honour interior the 1st y ear of the recent stadium.for the time of the years between 1967 -1992 I took a large type of stick from LIVERPOOL, ARSENAL,NOTTS woodland, supporters as shall we win some F.A.cups yet ought to no longer win the league.W ho would have concept it might take 26 years to win it. Now the tables have replaced under the staggering management of Sir A lex Ferguson. would he proceed for the foreseeable destiny and properly executed to all at previous T rafford

• 9 years ago

no they did not

contrary to the other post

most M1911 were carried by officers and NCO's

The .45 cal was powerful at short ranges, the other cartridges were actually larger and were much more powerful due to the larger amount of powder carried in the cartridge.

Source(s): My father was in WW2
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Possible. Officers and NCOs sometimes carried them. Or if they were on guard duty at a base they may have been givin one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No. Just like today handguns are issued by DUTY POSITION. If your DUTY POSITION requires one you will be issued one. If not (which is 99% of the time) you will not be issued one.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes

Source(s): Ghana
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.