Don't you find it strange that the Protestants say this?

Many of them claim that the Apocrypha is an uninspired collection of books that were written by random individuals. I mean I'm not here to debate the legitimacy of the Apocrypha, but i just find that hilarious, and quite unfair.

I'm prepared for some nasty responses though.

Yep i was waiting for the old "Don't Generalize!" thing to come up.

Notice how i said "Many"? I didn't say "All" so please read the question. Thanks.

• steven
    Favorite Answer

I find it to be typical of religious thinking.

What's strange is how "many" of them don't know the history of the guy who started the reformation.

Martin Luther was a Jew hating misanthrope.

Learn from this, dear Christian, what you are doing if you permit the blind Jews to mislead you. Then the saying will truly apply, "When a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into the pit" [cf. Luke 6:39]. You cannot learn anything from them except how to misunderstand the divine commandments...------Martin Luther

“I hope I shall never be so stupid as to be circumcised; I would rather cut off the left breast of my Catherine and of all women.” --- Martin Luther

“If I find a Jew to baptize, I shall lead him to the Elbe bridge, hang a stone around his neck, and push him into the water, baptizing him with the name of Avraham!.. I cannot convert the Jews. Our lord Christ did not succeed in doing so; but I can close their mouths so that there will be nothing for them to do but to lie upon the ground.” – Martin Luther

Martin Luther: The father of protestantism

Source(s): Atheist

It is not that they consider the Apocrypha uninspired... it's just that they are not on par with the Spiritual level of the other books. Protestants were not the first to consider them as not being part of the Biblical canon. St Jerome, when he was translating the scriptures into the Latin Vulgate, also questioned their legitimacy. Just as Luther did when he was translating them into German. Luther also had issues with some of the New Testament books as well. The books and passages of the Apocrypha were included in the Greek translation, the Septuagint, but they were not found in the original Hebrew scriptures. That is why they were also considered deuterocanonical, or additional writings, by the Roman Catholic Church until the 1500's, in response to the reformation. Some of the Catholic doctrine and dogmas are rooted in these writings. They have been and are included in various "Protestant" versions of the Bible, so it is not really a matter of "fairness", but of personal preference.

.

Source(s): Here is a list of Bible versions available on BibleGateway.com... notice that there are several versions that do include them. http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

Did you know there were two Hebrew Bibles? The Palestine Hebrew Bible is what the Jews continue to use today. But there was also the Alexandria Hebrew Bible which the Greek speaking Jews used and what the early Christians used. The difference is that there were many more Books in the Alexandria Hebrew Bible than the Palestine Hebrew Bible.

The seven Books which Protestants consider as Apocrypha and removed because they were written in Greek were in the original Christian Bible. I should also mention they removed the Greek manuscripts from the Book of Esther and the short stories which St. Jerome included in the Book of Daniel.

I've read much of the Apocrypha, but not in the Roman Catholic Bible, I read it out of the Oxford Bible, which has a more complete Edras. I liked it. And I keep an eye on things because of what it said. I think that Protestants should pay more attention to it, but, Oh man! Tradition dies hard!

• Greg

Let me give you three words that are pointless and irrelevant to God.

Catholicism, Protestant, and Apocrypha.

Knowing God is understanding God. Understanding God is following God. Following God is achievable by everyone regardless of what church you are standing in. If anything, standing in a church increases your chances of knowing the false God. The people of churches are good. But the ones who build them and run them don't know God. Churches are institutions that display beauty, power, and wealth. You can't find God through these places. You will find the false God. The only exception is a run down shack hidden in the woods near a small town of population 20 people. The point being that these people focus on all the right things. Modern day churches succumb to the "superstar" God that allows them to go home and continue self indulging and being oblivious to living spiritually instead of materialistically.

• Cindy

Oh, don't always expect the worst. From what I hear (and I'm not Catholic), the Apocrypha is worth reading and considering. It was not considered canonical by the Jews (who gave it to us), but was included in copies of the Septuagint because of its worth and because the Jews of the dispersion wanted all of their important literary works, not just the books of the canon. Christians followed suit, but it was never considered canonical. It was just included in the same volumes as an adjunct work. This doesn't make it worthless at all. It just means it wasn't considered flawless.

If you wanted to cause division in a spiritual body, this is the easiest way to cause division: work on their pride of knowledge, but wait for a great deal of time to pass by so that they cannot verify for >sure< their claims.

>Some< Protestants are taught this. Not all. This is why they say it.

Should the Christian sects unite somehow by some weird coincidence, what do you think would happen? The anti-Christ would never appear.

Our dissensions are according to the Good God.

If you are not a part of it, stand aside and watch and analyze, but analyze well.

• No.

Tesst exist. I was raised in a 'Protestent' denomination (the leaders have several times disagreed with that commit). I agree with the Catholics now; that 'test' is one of the 9 deviations to God's word I currently know of.

many of those were found to be written late in the centuries , there were approx 60 epistles and gospels supposedly written long after the so called authors were long dead .

the holy spirit guided the church to compile the 73 books in the 4th. century

The Apocrypha was not even adopted as Scripture until the Canon of Trent in the 16th Century. They were rejected even by the Catholic Church prior to this time. They were never written in either Hebrew or Greek....the original language of the bible. Many passages of there are absolutely nonsense and are totally silly. They add nothing to the true bible and often contradict with the historical writtings in the true bible.