Question about the Romeo and Juliet law in Texas?

Hello. I was just wondering about the Romeo and Juliet law that will about to be passed in Texas. I've heard different terms of it and how it will change statuary rape definition. Some sites said that it still a three year difference while others four. So would it be legal for a 14 year old to have sex with someone who is no more than 4 years of difference? I have yet to find terms about this law. Has it been changed while being passed and did it differ compared to the Romeo and Juliet laws in other states?

Ohhh nvm. I get the age of consent confused..I was talking about the MINIMAL age of sex in Texas which is 14 right..And the new law says it can't be more than a 4 year difference right?

Sorry let me reword that, not a four year difference four years GREATER than 14.

Alright thank you guys. I got my answer.

• Chet
    Favorite Answer

Under current Texas law no one can have sex with someone under 17 UNLESS:

1 there is no more than 3 years age difference (to the day);

2 he does not have to register as a sex offender;

3 the victim is 14 or older; and

4 they must be of opposite sex

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/...

This is know as an affirmative defense. An affirmative defense means that the state can still prosecute, during trial the defendant must show evidence of the affirmative defense. Since age is easily proven they will probably not prosecute.

If a person is not a register sex offender, of opposite sex, not more than 3 years older, and the victim is older than 14, it is legal for a 14 year old to have sex with a 17 year old, 15 and 18, 16 and 19.

• Chet
      5 years agoReport

Wrong or right it does not matter. That is the law. You can write your state politician and try to have them change it (if you are a Texas citizen).

• oto

Romeo And Juliet Law

• Katy M

The age of consent is 17. The R&J law would make it legal for a 15 year old, not 14, to have sex with someone 4 years older or less.

I'm not sure why they call it a Romeo and Juliet law, because if I remember correctly they were both 13.

• Samantha5 years agoReport

We just wenr over Romeo and Juliet in English and Juliet was 13 and Romeo was 19

Im woundering is it okay for a 17 year old tohave sex with a 20 to 21 year old

• Jamie4 years agoReport

In the state of Texas once someone turns 17 you are considered an adult. So yes you can have sex with someone who is 20 to 21. however Is it a good idea? It depends on how long the two people have been together.