Is It Possible to Have A Career as a Makeup Artist Even if You Don't Work In Hollywood?

My boyfriend and my dad are both convinced that me wanting to be a makeup artist is a total waste of time and theyre always trying to talk me out of it. But its something i love and i think im good at it. I don't want to work for celebrities. I just wanna live somewhere like Dallas, Destin, mayyyybe Chicago and... show more My boyfriend and my dad are both convinced that me wanting to be a makeup artist is a total waste of time and theyre always trying to talk me out of it. But its something i love and i think im good at it. I don't want to work for celebrities. I just wanna live somewhere like Dallas, Destin, mayyyybe Chicago and do makeup for weddings, parties, and other events. Would this be a waste of time or could I actually make a living off of it if I do it right? My ultimate dream is to open my own salon
Update: @ Jes: Thats a GREAT idea! I cant believe I never thought of that!