Can Broadway Actresses have children and families? ?

I am very interested in Broadway and I want to be on Broadway someday but I would also like a family. (my career choice may change in time but for now I want to be on broadway) anyway I was wondering if you would be able to have kids while being on broadway? If so how would that work and all? Im just curious. Would you be able to have a family and all? What would you do if you got pregnant? Any websites, sources, or links that you find useful and helpful would be great!

Thanks in advanced :)

• Mol
    Favorite Answer

Being a Broadway performer is just like any other job on the planet. If you want children, you can have them, but there will be a lot of sacrifices.

I'm not sure why you'd think this would be different from any other job, but just like any other time consuming job, if you have a child and want to continue working, you have to find someone to watch the children while you are at work. Simple as that. Nanny. Babysitter. Daycare. Whatever.

The performers I know personally who have children found it a pleasant setup when they were babies and far more challenging when they were older, as when you are engaged in a show you are required to be at work pretty much all of the time that the child is home from school. Broadway performers have one day a week off. Show schedules vary but a typical schedule involves no work Monday, work from 7pm to 11:30pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, work from 1pm to 11:30pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays, work from 2pm to 6:30pm on Sundays. Also there are usually rehearsals Friday afternoon. When a show is in rehearsal one works 12 hour days, after it opens the schedule is more relaxed.

If you give up touring with shows after you have children (most do) you can still be sent out of town to try a show out and that is often difficult for actors with children. When the children are in school you would simply have to leave them in New York City with your spouse or another relative or responsible guardian and complete your out of town (6 weeks to 2 months) without the child. This is done all the time.

If you get pregnant while working a Broadway show, you simply take maternity leave like any other job. Kelli O'Hara recently did that in South Pacific, she worked until she was showing too much to continue, took leave, had the baby, and returned to the show to complete her contract.

Many actresses I know have chosen not to have children for these reasons, but just as many go on and have them and just work around it.

To be honest it is so difficult to begin and maintain a Broadway career to begin with I wouldn't even worry about this if I were you.

good lord you seriously have to ask this