whats a good gun to buy my 15 year old son?

Im looking to buy my son a rifle for his first gun, hes already shot high caliber rifles like a 308 and a 44 revolver but i want to get him a decent rifle and im willing to pay arond 350 usd im thinking of a 22 or other small caliber and either a semi or bolt rifle if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Favorite Answer

A .22 is a great first gun. Ruger 10/22 is almost unbeatable and its a rifle that he will be able to use and get enjoyment out of the rest of his life. plus the possibilities are virtually endless. you can purchase a new stock, barrel. extended mag release, hi cap mags, softer trigger....etc. its fun and inexpensive to shoot.

No, I do not think you should buy your 15 year old a pellet gun. I see nothing wrong with someone of that age (or younger) having a gun if they are mature and can responsibly handle one. My opinion is due to what you said about YOUR son-you already told him that he needed to improve his grades first, which he has not done. Then he had a temper tantrum when you told him no. That is not responsible, mature behavior and certainly would not get any child of mine what they are asking for. If his attitude is already so bad, a potential weapon is not a good idea for him. Nevermind that since you apparently live within the city limits of Las Vegas, it is illegal anyway. If you purchase a gun for your teenaged son, I think you are opening yourself up for a whole lot of trouble. Again, I have nothing against guns-we own several, and my children are younger than your son and they do use a pellet gun (supervised) and as they age, they will be taught to properly care for and handle the other guns. It is just your son's attitude that makes me think that NO, he should NOT have a gun-pellet or not. I hope this helps.

Bolt rifle. I used one when I was 16 its a gun you can trust. Hope this helps

dont listen to whoever said its illegal, ur the one who is gonna purchase and legally own it just like everything else in ur house

anyway...... for his first gun my recommendations are

1. ruger .22 or any other .22

2. some form of .223 to a .243 depending on if u hunt

first gun = not an expensive one.

I don't own or want to own a gun, but i assume its like guitars.

Its no use buying your son a Fender Japan jaguar bass for $1,500 when he hasn't had a lot of experience.

A water gun

M4 assault rifle

Uzi

Ak47

50 caliber

Desert eagle

An invisible one.

That's kind of illegal.

Source(s): The law