I was denied a personal loan from my bank. Should I try for a signature loan through credit union for less?

I have an emergency that needs taken care of as soon as possible. I was denied a personal loan for $5k with my bank, due to my income and debt to credit ratio. I gross about $1100/mo on my own income, so I understand why I was denied, as I was unable to find a cosigner who made much more than me. I can't use my... show more I have an emergency that needs taken care of as soon as possible. I was denied a personal loan for $5k with my bank, due to my income and debt to credit ratio. I gross about $1100/mo on my own income, so I understand why I was denied, as I was unable to find a cosigner who made much more than me. I can't use my husband because he has a small medical bill in collections. Although I am paying it off soon, obviously it does us no good right now.

My credit is fair, as I don't have any accounts in default/late payments/etc. I considered trying to go through a local credit union for a lesser amount - possibly $4k. I know that this specific credit union will do signature loans up to 30% of your income.

Do I stand any chance of getting a loan of that size based on my own income? My husband grosses about $1500/mo, and I've already sat down and figured up payments. We can afford it, and pay it off well before it need to be, but they obviously can't consider his income. I have already considered (and in some cases already have) asking family for help, but most of those close to us are in a pinch themselves, and it just isn't going to happen. This is more or less my last resort.

I wouldn't even consider this if I didn't feel that we could pay it back in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't want to worsen my credit either. That is why I am asking before moving forward too much.

Any input is much appreciated.
Update: This is a REAL emergency, otherwise I wouldn't be going to these lengths.