Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 years ago

Do i have a shot at these colleges?

I have a 3.2 gpa in school and will be entering my senior year in high school. I also play Varsity Soccer for 3 years in High school, and 1 year of JV lacrosse and 1 year of Varsity lacrosse. I also volunteer at my local library, and do volunteer as maintenence and as a counselor at a week-long christian camp in Pennsylvania for 2 years. I will also be employed at the Thayer Hotel at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. My highest scores on my SAT thus far is 530 on Verbal, 570 writing, and 460 on Math. I'll be re-taking the test about 1-2 more times this fall. If i really bust it out my senior year, 3.5 or higher, will i have a shot at higher level schools like Syracuse or Rutgers? I'm looking to go into Journalism-Print. I know newhouse @ syracuse is extremely difficult to get into, so ill settle for any other related major...do i atleast have a shot at West Virginia?? Is there any other schools you'd recommend?! Thanks a lot. Looking for a thorough answer..

With that said, i'm trying to determine my chances at these schools:

-Rutgers, MAIN campus & Newark campus

-Syracuse

-SUNY Cortland, Albany

-Manhattan College

-West Virginia University

-Long Island University

I can really write a mean and sophisticated essay and get great leadership letters of recommendation from my sports coaches and employers. Will doing flawless senior year help me!? Thanks alot.

Favorite Answer

Syracuse and Rutgers would be hard except for the newark campus. Others is pretty easy to get into especially West Virginia.

Your GPA is pretty low to get into, but if you do well in SAT they still consider it with those awesome volunteer and what not

Where do you live exactly? It's best to go to state school, if you don't have a problem with money.

Source(s): Rutgers Business school student in New Brunswick

I can't tell you a thing about any of the schools in New York (sorry!) but I do know that you'll most likely get into West Virginia. As for Rutgers, I don't think it's likely that you'll get into the main campus but that's okay because that school cares more about its athletic department than educating its students.

all schools are desperate for students who can pay their way and are able to graduate, only 30% of students completed their courses and graduated last year which is hurting colleges and the number of degrees withheld because of outstanding debts is at an all time high, doesn't say much for the morality or intelligence of college staff as without the graduation the student can't get a job to pay off the debt