Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Do African dwarf frogs grow their limbs back after an injury? ?

I have a tiny albino African dwarf frog who was recently picked on by one of our larger killi fish. Most of his leg is still there, but his foot and webbing are all mangled. Will he ever get his whole leg back?

Favorite Answer

If your frog is albino, then it is not an African Dwarf Frog. As of yet, there has not been a line of albino dwarf frogs made available in the pet trade. Honestly, I am not sure if they even exist. All albino aquatic frogs are actually African Clawed Frogs. Pet stores frequently mix them up.

African clawed frogs get between 3.75 and 6 inches, with females being on the larger end of this scale. A single specimen needs at least a 10 gallon tank to itself, and they prefer to have the company of others of their own species.

By all accounts I have read, it is impossible for frogs to grow their limbs back. With that being said, a few months ago, I purchased a small African Clawed Frog from a pet store. Somehow, one of his hands had been bitten off. Since I brought him home, his "stump" appears to be growing. As of right now, we are not exactly sure what is happening, but it appears as if his hand might actually be growing back. After talking to some experts on aquatic frogs, we developed the hypothesis that if stem cells were still present in the area of the wound, that it might be possible for this to happen. But, again, no one has ever heard of this before. If your frog survives the initial shock and the potential infections resulting from the injury, then he can live a perfectly normal life. There are lots of cases of full-grown ACFs that lost a limb in their youth.

For now, it is imperative that you separate your frog from your fish. Right now, he is prey for your fish. And if he is allowed to grow properly, he will begin eating all of your fish in a few months. African Clawed Frogs can and will eat everything that fits in their mouth. While he is small, you can keep him in a 5 gallon tank until he recovers from the shock and heals his wounds a little. When he starts to grow, however, you will need at least a 10 gallon tank for him. If you cannot get another tank for him, then please try to re-home him to more adequate conditions. You could try Craigslist, Petfinder, or this forum: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/froggyfriends/

If your frog survives, and you do decide to keep him/her, then I think you'll find it to be a wonderful experience. But, if you live anywhere near Connecticut and are not able to give him proper care, I would be more than happy to take your frog for you. =)

Good luck!

Source(s): I have 7 African Clawed Frogs and 5 African Dwarf Frogs.

Albino African Dwarf Frog

I have an African dwarf frog that lost his webbed foot and half of his arm and for awhile it looked like it was going to grow back but now it looks like it has just gotten worse just wondering but have your frogs legs grown back also is it possible that they can have a flesh eating disease or virus?

No, it won't grow back. If he's really an albino then he's is almost certainly a clawed frog not a dwarf frog. These guy's grow up to be pretty big and will eat your fish.

• Erika

I had a betta with a splash frog, in a larger kind tank with sturdy filtration equipment. They did ok, even even with the incontrovertible fact that bettas are notoriously and violently territorial. SO i might anticipate laid returned goldies does not be a venture. the venture grow to be the frog threw off the Ph of the water, and that i could no longer shop it clean adequate. regrettably, and worst of all, froggy died torn to bits after being sucked into the filter out. So, i might say they are able to combination behaviorally, yet froggy might endanger the protection of the fish (water themes), and froggy's protection could be endanger in the experience that your aquariums any sturdy interior the filtration branch.

No I had a couple in a 55 and they were large 6 +inchs and u put some in that were a little smaller and the bigger ones ate one and was in the process of eating the other one and I stopped um and he list his foot had him for 7 years never grew back they ate all my fish to lol