Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

recipes for toffee apples and treacle toffee?

im wanting to make toffee apples but most recipes have cream of tartar/vinager in and i have neither of these. i have white sugar, golden syrup and other usual household foody things.... is there a basic recipe which still works well with minimal ingredients??

also for treacle toffee... i dnt have soft brown sugar, just white/caster sugar. i have a tin of treacle but not many unusual ingredients, a basic recipe for this too please?

thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Treacle toffee

Ingredients:

10oz/275g Sugar

2 tablespoons of water

2 tablespoons of black treacle

2oz/50g butter

1 dessertspoon vinegar

To Make:

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan, stir, and boil (hard boil, not simmer) for about 12-15 minutes, until a sugar thermometer shows 300 degrees F, or 149 degrees centigrade. If you like your toffee brittle, then boil for a slightly longer time. You can check it's ready when a small amount dropped in cold water forms a small ball (more on this in the dull bit, later on).

Then, take the mixture off the boil and carefully pour into a shallow greased tin about 20cm/8" square. As the toffee is setting, mark into squares with a knife that's been dipped in oil.

This makes about 120z/350g of toffee.

Try this recipe for peanut toffee apples:

Peanut Toffee Apples:

Ingredients:

6 medium sized eating apples

8oz granulated sugar

2oz peanut butter

6 skewers, or sticks (I use those wooden chopsticks that you buy in bulk, even if they are a bit long, really)

To Make:

Wash and dry th

e apples, and put the sticks firmly into the middle of them (really firmly, otherwise you might end up fishing around with a fork in the middle of a pan of boiling sugar for your lost apple. That, or your child will drop his/her apple in the road, and wail).

Butter a plate, or baking tray, ready to stand the apples on, and put this by your cooker. Have a bowl of cold water ready there, too.

Put the peanut butter and sugar into a big pan, over a low heat, and heat gently, stirring, until all the sugar has dissolved.

Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, and cook for three or four minutes, until the temperature on your sugar thermometer reads 138 degrees centigrade, 280 degrees F, or when a small spoonful of the mixture, if put in cold water, makes a slight 'crack' sound.

Now, straight away (if you dither, you'll be lost), dip the apples into the cold water, then straight into the toffee mixture. Then dip the apples into the cold water again (this stops the hot toffee running straight off the apples) and on to your buttered plate.

Leave to cool, and you've six peanut toffee apples. You can wrap them in cellophane if you want to be posh, but I use greaseproof paper, or just eat them straight away (not all of them, though - this is a good recipe if you're having a small party, or something like that).

• 3 years ago

Black Treacle Toffee

• 4 years ago

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?

• 4 years ago

If you want to eat truly healthy, lose body fat consistently, normalize your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even boost your brain health and energy levels, you may have heard all over the news that the Paleo Diet has been found to be one of the best methods of achieving all of these benefits compared to any other popular "fad" diets out there. Go here https://biturl.im/aU3uF

The truth is that the Paleo Diet will never be considered a fad because it's just simply the way that humans evolved to eat over approximately 2 million years. And eating in a similar fashion to our ancestors has been proven time and time again to offer amazing health benefits, including prevention of most diseases of civilization such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, and other chronic conditions that are mostly caused by poor diet and lifestyle. One of the biggest misunderstandings about the Paleo Diet is that it's a meat-eating diet, or a super low-carb diet. This is not true

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.