Is it worth going to university (UK)?

I'm really confused about what to do. I'm currently studying my A-Levels and got decent, but not brilliant, grades (Bs and Cs). My issue is this: With all the tuition fees etc, I don't know if I want to go anymore. They go up to a maximum of £9,000 when I am due to go. I come from a pretty poor... show more I'm really confused about what to do. I'm currently studying my A-Levels and got decent, but not brilliant, grades (Bs and Cs).
My issue is this:
With all the tuition fees etc, I don't know if I want to go anymore. They go up to a maximum of £9,000 when I am due to go.
I come from a pretty poor background and going would not only put me, but probably my family (as they'd have to partially fund me) in debt. Another issue is I don't know what I want to do.

I'm very interested in English and/or creative writing, but I don't think that it's a degree worth getting into thousands of pounds of debt for.
Please help. Do you believe it's worth going to university, in the UK, anymore? Could it honestly help me get a job?
Update: I also feel that my school/sixth form is somewhat pressuring me to go, as they seem to think without a degree there's no chance of employment...
1 answer 1