Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Does landlord need permission to enter the property? Can they always enter as long have given 24 hours notice?

I don't really wish for the landlord or agents to enter the property while I am not there or for workmen to enter while I am not in. I find it invasive, insecure and intrusive on my privacy and enjoyment, it is stressful to think strangers will be going round the house when I am not in.

I understand a landlord may need to enter a property in an emergency if I'm not there - but if they give me 24 hours notice that they wish to enter for viewings or checking when I 'm not there can I say no it's not convienient and rearrange a time for when I am in for them to show viewers or check the property?

I am happy for reasonable prearranged visits when I am in, so would this be OK to say that this way only?

Also how often is it reasonable for a landlord or viewers to want to come around the house?

Many thanks in advance :)

Update:

To Oops - it's always good to get as much advice and information as possible, I am being thorough and some on yahoo may know different information to others, it is fine to ask as many different people as many times as required to get a good idea of what others know on the subject.

You have replied already so thankyou for your advice but I can still ask others if they know more.

Update 2:

As I understand it no tenancy agreement, no matter what it says can override law that is already in place. So really I am checking what the law says and whether this overrides the tenancy agreement.

Update 3:

Thanks for the reply mutt, I think what I am concerned about is frequent visits being as the house was for sale when the letting agent showed me around they assured me that it would come off of the market, but to me the contract looks like they may wish to let it to get an income while they continue to keep it on the market, with a stream of viewers, surveyors, and maybe the possibility of me being forced out if they sell it before the contract is up?????

I don't want a stream of agents and viewers entering whenever they like for the duration of the contract.

Normal infrequent checks I am absolutley fine with and can arrange to be there for in eves and weekends.

Update 4:

Good lord Rainbowz that does sound awful, I would hate that! Your poor sister :( Yes this is the thing I don't want strangers having access to the house I reside in when I am not there, looking at my belongings doing god knows what while I am not there.

Update 5:

Yes I should probably add I live in the UK so UK law would apply only.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, they do not need your permission to enter their property. The idea is absurd.

They need to give notice. If you are there or not is up to you. It does not matter one bit if it is convenient for you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

You do, with 24 hours written notice, have a contractual obligation to let them come in. However, I'd suggest the appointments have to be at a mutually agreeable time, within normal working hours usually. And it's a mute point re whether you gave notice, or they did. And under what circumstances. Frankly we were given, unexpectedly and out of the blue, notice of an intention to sell the property we'd been in for over 13 years (rather than do any upgrading!). In that case I said I wasn't happy to have prospective purchasers over the property under the circumstances, although I agreed that the agents could come in to take photos etc. The owners of the property agreed to back off. This was a bit different however - most landlords would prefer to have a seemless change over, to avoid 'down time' for the property. I think everybody is entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of the property they are renting, so if this visiting becomes disruptive then I'd say so. You might take your issues, and the Lease, to your local Citizens Advice people, who will tell you your rights.

• 9 years ago

They are supposed to give you a pre warning, however when my sister was renting the last house she was in, the landlord allowed an estate agents to snoop around the house when she wasn't in and they didn't notify her either. She lives somewhere else now and the house she was in has been put up for sale and guess what I happened to come across the property online with an estate agent and there were photographs on there of the various rooms with my sisters furniture, possessions in the photos. She had no idea they'd been there and complained to the estate agents as it's a breach of privacy. The estate agents removed the photos. They'd even been in her bedroom and taken a photograph there with her duvet etc. Goodness knows what they were tempted to do while no one was there, have a snoop in her drawers no doubt. At the end of the day if you're out at work and the landlord knows this there is nothing to stop them coming around the home and having a good nose around, if you happen to come home they can simply say they were in the area and decided to pop in. They have their own keys after all and it is their property at the end of the day. Unless you can prove they stole something of yours there's not much you can do about it, one of the pitfalls of renting from someone else. I personally don't like this idea at all, as they could look at sensitive paperwork you have around, bills etc and even look at personal things you may keep in the bedroom. If you have really personal stuff you don't want anyone to see then all I can recommend is that you buy a safe that has a combination lock that only you know, don't leave confidential paperwork where it can be easily obtained.

Source(s): me
  • 9 years ago

I just want to add that it happened to me. The place I was renting was put up for sale. We had been there five years, so we had a good relationship with the landlord. There was not a ''constant stream'' but there were maybe four-five visits. The agent asked us if we minded stepping out, as if an agent is selling your house, you will not be present. We were not obliged to, but did anyway. It takes only a few minutes depending on the size of the place. When the house was inspected though, my boyfriend was there, as that would give more ''intruding'' possibilities. It all went very well, no stress.

If you are that worried/uncomfortable with the possible situation, maybe you need to look for a different place.

PS When the place is sold, they can't kick you out till your lease runs out. They can however raise the rent quite a bit at the end of that period, so we moved out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The landlord has right of reasonable access to carry out their duties with regard to the property, e.g. repairs - this can be immediate access without notice in an emergency. They normally do not have right of access for other reasons, but it depends on your tenancy agreement. You should contact a citizen's advice bureau for more info. You do also have the right to live in the property undisturbed, and it sounds like they may be breaching this right.

In terms of whether they can end the tenancy, they can only do this if the fixed period on your tenancy agreement has ended (usually 6 months), and then they have to give you the notice according to the tenancy agreement - if there is no break clause they must find grounds to break the arrangement such as non-payment of rent.

There is free advice available in the UK for tenancy problems - see links below.

• Mutt
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If you are going to rent, you need to understand that this is someone elses property that you are occupying. It is not yours. It will have you stuff there, but the property itself belongs to someone else.

Since the property is someone elses, they have the right to enter the property to do routine maintenance and inspections of their property, with the proper notice. They are not allowed to enter to snoop around and go through your panty drawer.

If it is an issue, a very simple solution is to be there when they enter. They give you 24 hours notice so you know a head of time and can arrange for yourself to be there, or have a friend or family member there.

This is part of renting, and is very normal. They don't come around much. I've been renting for about 1 year now, and they have only scheduled a time to enter my apartment twice in that time: Once for routine check of the fire alarms, and once because the tube was leaking into the apartment below me. I do work at home a lot, and never once has anyone tried to enter my apartment unauthorized.

*EDIT* - If you are wondering about the law and if the contract has anything outside the law in it, take a copy of the lease to a lawyer to review before you sign it. You posted on Y!A UK, so I'm assuming that's where you live. I do not know the laws there, but I'm sure they are pretty similar to those in the US (which are mostly set by the states, but are very similar between the different states). And requiring a notice before entering is a very common law.

*EDIT2* - I would recommend you look for other place to live. This does not look like a very good deal for you if they will be having people come look at the property.

• 9 years ago

it would depend on the jurisdiction where you reside and the Lease agreement you should have signed .

No lease agreement no clear cut guidelines so that may be up to the landlord but they would still be required to follow guidelines issued by the local controlling body IE the municipal Government

Housing Authority

While you are entitled to Privacy you do not own the property and the people that do are entitled to inspect it on occasion as well as undertake any required Maintenance or repairs at their discretion not yours. [periodic inspections might be as frequent as once a month ]

one or two working days notice would be pretty standard [ again see the housing authority guidelines]

you have several options

1/ they do any inspections or work without you being present

2/ you take time off work to supervise the inspection or work

3/ have another warm body [ presumably somebody you trust] supervise

4/ perhaps arrange for the work or inspection at a time frame more convenient for you

this does not have to happen though sometimes the landlord might allow it

keep in mind it could cost you their overtime rate they too are entitled to expect routine work to be conducted during regular business hours and if they have to hire outside help for repairs

overtime incurred to accommodate your schedule is your problem

• Dan H
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It will be in your contract.

Generally a landlord may enter your apartment without your permission in an emergency, say the see water coming out of the garage door.

They may also enter after giving the notice specified in your contract.

They may not just come and go as they please.

• Landlords by law have to give you 24 hour notice, and inform you when they are coming to visit. I am not sure if you have to be in the house though.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): experience.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I'm NOT a lawyer, but as I understand it, they can't let anyone else in except for emergency situations (workman making an emergency repair for example) without your consent. So that would include viewers, surveyors etc. They would have to make an appointment with you. they could, of course, take people in in your absence if you gave consent, but if you don't, my understanding is that they can't. But, as I say, I'm NOT a lawyer!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Do you intend to repeatedly ask this until you get the answer you want.

The terms should be on your tenancy agreement , if they are not then negotiate , as you said the last time you asked that you have not yet signed the tenancy agreement.

[="Oops!"=]

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.