Which College to Attend?

I am currently attending DePaul University in Chicago but there are just too many commuter students and there is no sense of community. I currently have a 3.5 GPA and am majoring in Political Science with the desire to attend Law School after completing my undergraduate degree. I have been considering Drake University in Des Moines. The school is much smaller than DePaul but seems to have better academics and is cheaper since the tuition hike at DePaul. Let me know what you think and provide reasons please!! Thanks!!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Drake is a good school, but DePaul is supposed to be better in academics. DePaul is ranked on a national scale and Drake is ranked on regional scale. I can understand wanting to go to a smaller school with a community feel. I know some people that say attending DePaul is like going to a job.

I think you should do what you feel is best for you. Drake might be the place for you. Just keep in mind that DePaul will open more doors for you. That school is loaded with successful alumni and law students. According to their website: DePaul has produced more Illinois judges than any other.

More than 250 judges throughout the Chicago metropolitan area are graduates of DePaul's College of Law.

DePaul Alumni (Not including professional authors, athletes, musicians, Film and Television):

Business leaders

Richard Driehaus, CEO, Driehaus Capital Management ,Jack Greenberg, former CEO, McDonald's Corporation ,James M. Jenness, CEO, Kellogg Company ,Edward J. Joyce, President and COO, Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) ,Greg Silich, Entrepreneur, former Leo Burnett CFO

Laura Thrall, President and Chief Executive Officer, United Way of Metropolitan Chicago, Inc

Bertram L. Scott, President, U.S. Commercial, CIGNA ,Peggy Troy, President and CEO, Children’s Hospital and Health System,Frank M.Clark, Chairman and CEO, ComEd ,Jeffrey S.Aronin, President and CEO, Ovation Pharmaceuticals ,Brooks Boyer, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Chicago White Sox ,Leticia Peralta Davis, CEO, Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority

Martin Jahn, General Director, Volkswagen Group RUS ,Sister Catherine Ryan, CEO, Maryville Academy ,Daniel Ustian, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Navistar International Corp. ,Thomas Briatico, President of Maytag Corporation ,Robert E. Goldberg, Former Chairman, Chicago Board of Trade ,Victor Faraci, Former Senior VP Marketing, Warner Bros.

Kerrie L. Holley, Chief Architect of IBM Global Services and IBM Distinguished Engineer; IBM Black Engineer of the Year Award Recipient 2003 ,John W. Martin, Jr., Former Vice President and General Counsel Ford Motor Co. ,William W. Moreton, President and CFO, Potbelly Sandwich Works ,Diane M. Pearse, CFO, Crate and Barrel ,Peter Pesce, Executive Vice President, Fifth Third Bank ,Richard Rosenfield, Co-Chairman, California Pizza Kitchen

William M. Rudolphsen, Senior Vice President and CFO, Walgreens Co. ,Daniel Ustian, CEO and President, Navistar International Corp. ,Ernest R. Wish, Chairman of Wish Enterprises; Former Managing Partner, Coopers & Lybrand ,Kathleen M. Waltz, President and CEO, Orlando Sentinel Communications ,Daniel Krajnovich, CEO, United Healthcare of Indiana ,Margaret G. McDermott, Executive Vice president and CEO, Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Chicago

Carol L. Schneider, President and CEO, Advocate Christ Medical Center, Advocate Hope Children's Hospital, Oak Lawn

Donna Thompson, CEO, Access Community Health Network

Politicians, government officials and civic leadersFrank Annunzio, U.S. Representative from Illinois (1965–1993) Michael A. Bilandic, past Mayor of Chicago ,Anne M. Burke, Illinois Supreme Court Justice, 1st District ,Joseph Burke, judge of the Illinois Appellate Court (1939–76)

Richard M. Daley, former Mayor of Chicago ,Richard J. Daley, former Mayor of Chicago

Terrance Gainer, Sergeant at Arms of the United States Senate ,Benjamin Hooks, former Executive Director of the NAACP ,Laura Spurr, Chairwoman of the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (2000–2001, 2003–2010),Samuel Skinner, former Chief Federal Prosecutor, U.S. Secretary of Transportation; Chief of Staff to President George H. W. Bush ,Charles E. Tucker, Jr., U.S. Air National Guard Brigadier General ,Dorothy Brown, Clerk, Cook County Circuit Court

I didn't have enough room to include Drake successful alumni members, which is much smaller than DePaul.

• 8 years ago

If academics are your main concern, I would stick with DePaul. The name carries more recognition. Regarding the social life, going to a smaller college isn't a guarantee that the social life will improve.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.