Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Is asking a maintenance man for assistance with changing a light bulb considered to be fair accommodation?

Filed a work order in my apt management office and ask if she would send the maintaince man to fix the out lights she said oh we don't do that. I recalled to her that I was disabled and didnt want to damage the property or injure myself. She went on further as to tell the employee before he came to fix something else not to take the time to put in my light bulbs!

Its not the light bulbs in my lamp. Its the 3 light bulbs in the ceiling. I sure wish I knew someone here. I am a new resident to the state.

Just so you all have an update for the future. I contacted my local Federal Housing authority today. The answer to the question is to provide the management with a written request to make the accommodation. If denied take it back to the FHA. The request is considered with in reason since I have a disability witch restricts my mobility.

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

I've never lived in a place where changing any light bulbs was the responsibility of the apartment manager/maintenance. It would be a courtesy on their part but it is not a requirement. Surely they have a ladder you can borrow.

• PoBoy

I'm going with "that depends."

Where are the light bulbs? Embedded in 10' ceilings? 8' in the air over the shower? If that's the case, then the manager has the responsibility to help. They saw your disability when they rented, accepted your rent, and a reasonable person would not expect a truly disabled person to climb a ladder to change the bulb.

If you are referring to changing the light bulb in the lamp next to your bed - if you can turn it on at night you can change the bulb.

So, it depends.

In my years as a manager of an RV resort it was always part of the maintenance responsibility to even do a simple task as to change a light bulb. Especially going out of their way to help the disabled or elderly with small tasks as well. Sounds as if your apt manager is just a rude and inconsiderate person.

• Liddel

Should the complex pay someone to change everyone's bulbs? If so, then they should charge more rent.

Just ask a friend to do it as a favor. If you don't have a friend, then you have worse problems than burned out bulbs.

lp

• Amy

Read your lease agreement.

It should all be spelled out in there. The fact that you are disabled does not come into play. If they are required to perform the service, they will have to do it. If they are not, you will have to find someone else to do it for you.

• Al

Considering that you are disbaled syas that she is an insensitive witch. Ask a neighnbor to help you and always remember your apt. management for what they are. Who knows, one day they may ask you for a favor.