making an aircraft vs maintaining an aircraft?

i was considering a career in aircraft maintenance engineering (AME) but then i thought manufacturing it would be fun and rewarding!

so please can you tell me which job is fun and more rewarding?

aeronautical engineer or aircraft maintenance engineer?

and also where do they work?

thank you !

• Brett
    Favorite Answer

I don't know much about aeronautical engineers. but, I do know about A & P Mechanics (maintaning aircrafts).

A&P mechanics inspect, test, maintain, and repair a variety of aircraft. They maintain, repair, and replace a variety of parts such as landing gear, wings, tail assembly, fuselage, control cables, fuel and oil tanks, and propeller assembly. They use test equipment, gauges, and hand tools to check, adjust, align, and calibrate the systems of the aircraft. They inspect and assess the engines and other parts for wear, cracks, breaks, malfunctions, and leaks. They also assemble and install mechanical, plumbing, electrical, structural, and hydraulic mechanisms, and parts. A&P mechanics often read and interpret aircraft maintenance manuals and specifications to assist them in their work.

A&P mechanics must have at least a high school diploma. Most employers require applicants to have completed a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approved training program in avionics, avionics maintenance and management, and avionics technology. Prospective A&P mechanics typically complete courses in physics, computer science, chemistry, mechanical drawing, aviation electronics, turbine engines, and composition materials. Most employers provide on the job training to enable new A&P mechanics to learn the policies and procedures of the position. Most A&P mechanics gain professional A&P mechanic certification from the FAA. The requirements include a minimum of 30 months of related work experience, completion of an approved training program, and passing written and oral examinations. A&P mechanics must complete continuing education on a regular basis to keep their skills up to date and maintain their certification.

Employment of A&P mechanics is expected to grow about as fast as average for all professions, increasing 10% from 2006 to 2016. The growing population and growth of the airline industry will drive job growth.

Job prospects are expected to be good especially for A&P mechanics with advanced education and extensive experience. Many job openings will stem from the need to replace A&P mechanics that retire, transfer, or leave the field for other reasons.

As of December 2009, the average annual salary for A&P mechanics is $38,000; average annual A&P mechanic salaries vary greatly on location, industry, employer, education, experience, and benefits.

A career as an A&P mechanic is a great choice for people with a strong interest in airframe and powerplant maintenance of a variety of aircraft. A&P mechanics must a solid understanding of the structure and maintenance of many different types of aircraft. Mechanical aptitude, physical stamina, eye-hand coordination, detail orientation, determination, and good problem solving skills are necessary characteristics. A&P mechanics must also have excellent communication and ability to work effectively as part of a team.

Sorry I couldn't help you with the "making an aircraft" job AKA aeronautical engineer. Any mechanic job is fun. Before , I wanted to become a airline pilot I wanted to be a car mechanic.

I've been an aircraft mechanic for 30 years and it's the worst possible career choice a person could possibly make. Tens of thousands of good hard working aircraft mechanics with decades of experience have been laid off, their jobs outsourced, their pensions stolen, and for the ones who still have a job, their wages have been SLASHED. Things couldn't POSSIBLY be worse for the aircraft mechanic trade.

That being said, the engineers on staff are treated about the same.....HORRIBLE. I don't know that much about the engineers at say, Boeing, but it would seem that being an engineer at the manufacturing company would be more rewarding than being on the maintenance side of things.

Engineers for maintenance are asked to do the impossible. The aircraft becomes damaged in a way not covered by the Structural Repair Manual...the SRM, and then the mechanics come to the engineer and ask him to do the impossible. To design a repair that the original designers never intended. Often as not, the factory replies to such requests by saying, "We've never seen that before. You're on your own. You are in uncharted territory and you take full responsibility for any EVA (Engineering Variation Authorization.)

If you want to know how risky it can be designing a repair for an airplane, look up the aircraft disaster "Japan Airlines Flt #123." It's the worst single aircraft disaster in history and it was because of an improperly designed repair.

Frankly, I would advise you to stay away from aviation...except as a passenger or as a rich guy who owns his own jet. I'm not kidding. I'm being deadly serious here. Find something else to do. You'll never regret it.