what can you tell me about the 7mm round?

i have found a guy on armslist who wants one of my handguns in exchange for a 7mm bolt action rifle. now i don't know much about the 7mm round so i have some questions. what is the effective range of the 7mm? can i take a deer with it? how much is the ammo per 20 rounds and can i buy it in bulk? what kind of bullets are there in 7mm? how much would a savage model 110 with a cheap tasco scope be worth?

Favorite Answer

Which 7mm round. There are several.

7 mm BR Remington

7 mm Dakota

7 mm Express Remington (a.k.a. .280 Remington)

7 mm Gibbs

7 mm Remington Magnum

7 mm RSAUM (Remington Short-Action Ultra Mag)

7 mm Remington Ultra Magnum

7 mm STE (Shooting Times Easterner)

7 mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner)

7 mm TCU (Thompson/Center Ugalde)

7 mm Weatherby Magnum

7 mm WSM (Winchester Short Magnum)

7 mm-08 Remington

7 mm-300 Weatherby Magnum

7-30 Waters

There is no such cartridge as a 7.62 x 57 Mauser. There is a 7.92 x 57 Mauser, it is more commonly known as the 8mm Mauser

The 7mm Mauser is not 7.62mm. What an idiot. Mr bill should delete his answer out of embarrassment

Source(s): wikipedia
  • Bob

As many have pointed out, the 7,62 is a .30 cal not a 7mm.

I'll leave the rest to them :laugh:

But the savage is most likely going to be a 7mm mag, 7-08 would be a close second but more mags have been made so the odds are better. The tasco scope adds 0 to the value, if it's my gun it's a negative number since I have to pull it and take up space in my garbage can with it.

A basic black 110 is going to go in the $300-$500 range locally. Value will vary quite a bit depending on where you are.

Assuming it's a 7mm mag, it's a large round, burns lots of powder and generally thumps pretty well on either side of the trigger. Good up through elk sized game with the right bullet, *maybe* moose size. I'm not a moose hunter so I'll leave that as a maybe. No issues dropping a deer with it. Bigger issue is finding a deer large enough to slow down a good 7mm mag bullet.

Effective range is likely to be as far as you can accurately shoot +100 yards. Most shooters are fine to about 200-300 yards, the round should carry more than enough energy out to 500 or so.

there are a great many different 7mm rifle rounds, Savage chambers at least two: 7mm-08, & 7mm remington magnum. Any 7mm is suitable for deer with the right bullet, generally in the 139-154gr range, & if its a 7mm Magnum its useable on game larger than deer, such as elk & moose with 160-175gr premium bullets like the barnes tsx or trophy bonded.

Ammo price varies tremendously depending on which particular 7mm and whether you buy standard-grade or premium. Bulk ammo can usually be had thru Cabelas & Sportsmans Guide, typically standard-grade hunting ammo which will work fine for deer. That way usually averages out to about a dollar per round, whereas 20-round boxed typically cost $30-$45

Savage 110 is a good rifle, depending on condition could be worth anywhere between $200-400, the scope not really adding value in this case

The Savage would likely be in 7mm Remington Magnum, 7x57 Mauser, or 7mm-08. All three of them will kill deer. Ammo will range from $20 to $50 per box depending on quality. The 7mm Magnum ammo will be about 30% more than the other two. There is a variety of hunting bullets available for all three.

Mr Bill is clueless

• Mr.357

From your description, all that I can tell you is that there are several 7mm rounds used in rifles. All should be capable of taking deer. You can probably find some surplus 7mm and 7mm Rem Mags may cost you $40 /20 for ammo with premium bullets.

The two most common 7mm rounds are the 7mm Mauser and the 7mm Magnum.

The Mauser is well over 100 years old and with proper bullets would make an excellent deer cartridge.

The Magnum is a high power long range cartridge adequate for just about any North American game with the possible exception of the larger bears.

7mm translates to .280 caliber in English units.

Ammo for both is available, but not as cheap as those military calibers on the surplus market. But for hunting you don't want mil surp anyway as it's all full metal jacket and likely to wound rather than cleanly kill game.

It would help a lot if you mentioned what 7mm cartridge you're asking about. 7x57 Mauser is a classic cartridge, nearly perfectly balanced for general deer hunting, and with a sterling reputation on animals that really are too large for such cartridges (WDM Bell killed thousands of elephants with his, for instance). 7mm08 is its ballistic equivalent in a short action. 7mm Remington Magnum is a bit more powerful, and there are a plethora of other 7's available. I doubt you've have asked about a "30 round" for one of the 30 caliber cartridges, so please be a little more specific.

Desert Eagle 22 and I must have been seperated at birth. I was thinking the exact same thing.

When I think of 7mm, I immediately think of 7mm Mauser, 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Wby Mag. Then I think of the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag. And then a host of other chamberings.

We have no idea what you mean.

Mr bill is a fuc#ing idiot. 7mm is nowhere near 7.62 mm. 7mm bullets are .284 diameter.

7.62x39 mm bullets are .311 diameter. The 7.62x37 is not a 7mm by any stretch.

Wikipedia is much more right than he is. Anybody that knows anything about guns knows that there is no 7.62x57 Mauser.

7mm Rounds