bear whitetail II compound bow 45 - 70 lb 29-31" draw, good bow?

looking for a bow for upcoming deer season, good bow? good bad things about it?

Update:

can it knock down a deer?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • DJ
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, first thing I noticed is the 29-31" draw. Your bow has to fit YOU. You should never shoot a bow with a draw length that doesn't match YOUR draw. If you are under 6ft tall, a 29" draw will PROBABLY be too long (unless you have arms like an Oragutan). I'm 5'10" and shoot a 28.5" draw. In general, your draw length should be somewhere around your height divided by 2.5. For example, I'm 5' 10", or 70". 70 / 2.5 = 28" draw length. Over the last decade of archery competition and bowhunting with compound bows, I've used 5 different bows, all set up with 28-29" draw lengths.

The Bear Whitetail II is a 20yr+ old design. Yes, 25yrs ago it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but compared to todays bows, it's weak in EVERY aspect. It's slow, it's long, it's heavy, it's LOUD, it has quite a bit of recoil/handshock (part of being a vertical limb/D-shaped bow with a long draw length), and only has a 65% let off. If you do ANYTHING more than just shoot a few times before season, then shoot at your deer (minimal effort into bowhunting), you will VERY quickly outgrow the Bear Whitetail II.

A Modern 70# compound bow with a 29-31" draw length will run between 50-100fps FASTER (50-100% MORE kinetic energy). AND modern bows will have 80% let off, so you'll be holding back about 14lbs (set on 70lb draw), instead of 25lbs, like you will with the Whitetail II. Holding back 25lbs doesn't seem like much, but after about 1min holding draw on a bow waiting on a buck to walk a little closer, or turn just slightly, you're definitely going to notice the difference!

The nice thing is that it has a pretty smooth draw (not necessarily any smoother than a modern bow would have though), and it's a pretty forgiving bow for new archers due to it's long axle to axle length and brace height. AND you should be able to find one for dirt cheap.

Personally, I'd get a different bow. There are MUCH better bows out there. Yes, it will kill a deer, but it doesn't have near the energy of modern bow designs, so your range is MUCH shorter. If you can get the Whitetail II for $50, then yeah, go ahead. For that price, it'll sure work for deer (20yrds or so), and you won't have much investment in it and can save up for a better bow. If it's $100, I'd pass. I'd rather have a $200 used bow than a $100 Bear Whitetail. Again, you're going to "outgrow" a Bear Whitetail II quickly. Your skills will develop MUCH faster than that bow can keep up with.

But the bottom line for me is the draw length. If the bow doesn't fit you, you can't shoot it accurately.

Source(s): I'm a bowhunter and former competitive archer...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

The Bear Whitetail II is probably the most common beginner bow out there. I think the same ones keep getting passed around as people upgrade..lol

The Whitetail is heavier than a modern bow, it is noisier, it only has 65% let off while modern bows have up to 80% and it is considerably slower than modern bows. That said, it has a very smooth draw and can be very accurate. As long as your length of draw is within that range, it is a great bow for beginners. Get a few years with it and then buy a more modern bow with all the bells and whistles and then sell that Whitetail to the next beginner in the line.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

bear whitetail II compound bow 45 - 70 lb 29-31" draw, good bow?

looking for a bow for upcoming deer season, good bow? good bad things about it?

Source(s): bear whitetail ii compound bow 45 70 lb 29 31 quot draw good bow: https://tr.im/Nz6Im
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.