Aeonyx
Lv 5
Aeonyx asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 years ago

"Shaken not stirred" actually makes a watered down, girly drink--?

So why does bad boy James Bond take his fav drink that way? Is it in the book(s)?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A martini is the quintessential "MAN" drink. It is simply gin and vermouth, usually served in a wide mouthed, stemmed glass and garnished with an olive, a pearl onion, or a bit of lemon rind.

It is not served iced, as the ice used to mix the drink is discarded.

I know of no LESS "girly" drink and I can't imagine a martini is watered down unless someone serves it with the ice left in.

Can you name a more macho manly drink? Besides straight tequila shooters, I guess.

• 10 years ago

"Scientists, specifically biochemists, and martini connoisseurs have investigated the difference between a martini shaken and a martini stirred. The Department of Biochemistry at the University of Western Ontario in Canada conducted a study to determine if the preparation of a martini has an influence on their antioxidant capacity; the study found that the shaken gin martinis were able to break down hydrogen peroxide and leave only 0.072% of the peroxide behind, versus the stirred gin martini, which left behind 0.157% of the peroxide.[7] Thus a shaken martini has more antioxidants than a stirred one. The study was done at the time because moderate consumption of alcohol appears to reduce the risk of cataracts, cardiovascular disease, and stroke, none of which afflict Bond." [Wikipedia]

Back when these books were written, martinis were primarily made from potatoes, thereby making them more oily. It is likely that Bond didn't like the oil and thought that shaking helped, and this theory's credibility is augmented when he says that a martini made from wheat is better than one made from potatoes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.