Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

I thought you had to be 18 or older to buy pistol cartridges?

I am just wondering about it because of another question asked on here. I would think it varies from state to state, and there were no "Federal" laws covering it, just state laws.

Here in Wisconsin, you only have to be over the age of 18 to buy pistol rounds. I am 24, but every time I have bought .45 ACP ammo from Farm & Fleet or Gander Mountain, they only required that I be above the age of 18.

So is it law in some other states that you have to be over the age of 21 to buy pistol rounds?

I am just wondering because it sounds like armchair commanders are making up some stuff.

And in respect to the question asked, I highly doubt the kid has a Thompson SMG because that's considered Class III and you already have to be 21 or older to own it under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

Can anybody inform me on what the laws are governing this? I am a little confused about it, but I was pretty sure it was 18+ for ammunition sales.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1): It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age

27 CFR 478.99(b) : Sales or deliveries to underaged persons. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition, is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a

shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age, or (2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery, or other disposition, unless the importer,

manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance.

As for the NFA issue, You do not have to be 21 or over to own NFA weapons. You do have to be 21 to purchase one from a licensed dealer. You can legally purchase one in a private sale from a resident of the same state at age 18. It transfers on the same Form 4 and ATF will approve for an 18 year old that way if all other requirements are met. There is a common misconception that all NFA transfers must go through a Class 3 dealer. That is not the case. All interstate transfers must go through a licensed dealer (does not have to be Class 3, but if it isn't there are additional transfer taxes). Intrastate transfers are perfectly legal between unlicensed persons. The forms do have to be completed and approved before the transfer takes place.

• 10 years ago

Ammunition for long guns is 18. So you can buy 9mm and 45ACP for a sub machine gun that is semi auto but you can't really find a good reason to buy 380ACP because long guns just don't shoot it. I recently purchased quite afew 50rd boxes of Remington and federal packs and they explicitly state that 9mm and 45ACP are pistol cartridges but I can buy them because they are able to be used in a rifle. Federal law does require you to be 21 to buy handgun ammunition but if your rifle shoots 9mm you can buy it at 18.

Also in Texas an 18 year old can buy a class 3 automatic Thompson SMG if they buy from private sale and pay a $200 transfer tax stamp. Or there parents gift it to them. Honestly you can just buy a handgun through private sale or gift at 18 so more people are going to be interested in that.

Remember there are many 9mm rifles such as the HK UMC with an UMP conversion kit and a high point 9mm carbine which is very affordable for someone younger.

I suggest going to walmart and getting them to match competitor coupons and you'll get ammo below actual cost to make!

• 4 years ago

it truly is a carbine, that's an prolonged gun, so in certainty everywhere interior the U. S. the age is eighteen. so which you are going to be sturdy here. it truly is the configuration of the firearm no longer the cartridge that separates long weapons from hand weapons. Or a carbine in a handgun cartridge remains a carbine, and a handgun in a rifle cartridge remains a handgun. As others have spoke of, figuring out to purchase ammo could be a challenge. i've got faith that somebody between 18 and 21 can legally purchase handgun ammo despite if it truly is to be utilized in a carbine, even if many shops will nonetheless refuse to sell for legal accountability motives or on occasion lack of information of the regulation. you are going to be waiting to purchase some ammo whilst choosing up your rifle, because it truly is for sure going for use for that purpose. apart from that with any luck your FFL is a small community place that is conscious you, given which you isn't truly waiting to purchase it from a great field shop. you will possibly be able to choose a discern to purchase your ammo for some years.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Federal law requires that you be 21 to purchase handgun ammo. You must be 18 to possess handgun ammo in most cases. There is some gray area since there are come carbines that use what is commonly thought of as hand gun ammo.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

It is Federal Law. Corey gave the precise answer. However, anyone not versed in looking up the US codes could have easily checked out this out in other ways:

NRA summary of federal laws: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id...

"It is unlawful for any licensed importer, dealer, manufacturer or collector to transfer shotgun or rifle ammunition to anyone under the age of 18, or any handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21."

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United...

Cabela's warning: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Common/l...

Note Gander Mtns age restriction for this handgun ammo (their rifle ammo the restriction is 18): http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/deta...

...and the web site of almost everyone else that sells ammo on the web.

• 10 years ago

Auto Ordinance sells semi auto Thompsons. That is the gun he was buying ammo for. Thus no class 3 involved. http://www.tommygun.com/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.