? asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 9 years ago

Can you fail a pre-employment drug trust from Zoloft or Advil PM?

Has anyone taken one of these or the combination and still had no problems with a pre-employment drug test? I take 50mg Zoloft and I took an Advil PM the night before my drug test because I had a headache. Now after doing some online searches, I've found numerous claims that both of these can possibly trigger a positive or false-positive.

I have no idea what to do, and the drug test form did not ask for a list of medications. What are my options?

Drug test*** sorry for the typo.

Favorite Answer

Yes Advil has been known to cause false/positives for marijuana;

and

Zoloft has been known to cause false/positives for Benzodiazepines.

But two points to keep in mind:

The enzymes that drug test companies used did cause false/positives for marijuana but it was rare for that to happen. They have since changed their test procedures and they now claim Ibuprofen no longer causes false/positives for marijuana. Although there is some who claim large amounts still cause false/positives. There are some lawsuits going through courts now to address that assertion.

As long as you aren't using high doses regularly, your odds are extremely low for a false/positive for Advil.

Zoloft has been known to give false/positives for Benzodiazepines but most drug tests do not test for Benzodiazepines so odds are good you have nothing to be concerned about there.

If you do get a false/positive make them do a GC/MS test. This test will greatly reduce the probability of a false/positive.