is there a such thing as mold killing paint? please help for 10pts?

i have mold in my apt. growing on the walls, i bleach it and it keeps coming bach so apparently in in side the dry wall, my manager insists that she is going to buy mold killing paint, but to me that seems like its a temporary solution to a permanent problem. in my mind, if the spores are on your dry wall its going to keep coming back unless the dry wall gets replaced right? because if it was surface mold it could be killed with bleach right? i dont know anything about this sort of stuff, but some of it seems like common sense to me. so anyways, im a single parent and i work part time, go to school and still receive help from the state with food, please dont tell me " just move out" because i totally would if i had enough money to move, but unfortunatly i dont and for now i cant so any advice besides moving would REALLY help.

thanks for you time guys

Favorite Answer

Mold Killing Paint

According to BOTH the US Center for Disease Control and the Environmental protection Agency, there is no 100% safe and effective way to kill mold in materials like drywall, wood, insulation, paper or any material that is organic and/or absorbent. The mold grow deep roots in these materials and any treatment will not penetrate deep enough to kill it. They need to be replaced and discarded.

More importantly, when mold appears in drywall, it is usually due to some type of moisture source - can be a plumbing or roofing leak, holes in the siding, air duct condensation, improper attic ventilation, wet basements and vented, moldy crawl spaces can all be sources of moisture that, if not dealt with, will cause the mold to come back.

Plus, chances are that the insulation and wood behind the moldy drywall are also moldy and need to be removed as well.

That said, here's what you need to do. Document the situation: take pictures, show it to your neighbors, etc... Contact the local health department, explain the situation and ask that they send an inspector.

By law, landlords must provide clean and sanitary units. If the health department inspectors finds that your unit is unhealthy and unsuitable for living, they will issue an order for your landlord to properly fix the problem, and they have several mechanisms to make him comply with the law.

They will also make a report which will give your grounds to legally terminate the lease if you want to move out.

Don't stop paying your rent while this thing is being sorted out.

Zinsser Mold Killing Primer

• Laredo

Mold only grows in damp places. There may be a roof leak that is draining down between the walls. There is no such thing as mold killing paint and the only way to get rid of mold is to attack it at the source. In this case, I think the drywall needs to be torn out so the source of the moisture can be located and corrected.

You need to report the owners of the apartment to the Housing/Building Inspector. You can also report them to your local Health Department and ask them to help you get something done. I'm surprised that you and the child aren't constantly sick with colds and respiratory problems or asthma.

I inherited my late mother's house and, when she died, there wasn't a sign of mold in it. I closed it up and went home. About 2 months later, I returned in the wintertime. The entire kitchen was covered in mold; we spent a ton of money trying to get rid of it but it just kept growing back. I finally decided just to have the house torn down and be rid of the problem. When the house was gone we discovered an underground water leak that was causing the moisture to penetrate the floor and walls. I had all the wet soil dug out and it took 18 loads of dry soil to replace it and dry out the ground. I hope this will give you some ideas so you can decide what you need to do.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i have mold in my apt. growing on the walls, i bleach it and it keeps coming bach so apparently in in side the dry wall, my manager insists that she is going to buy mold killing paint, but to me that seems like its a temporary solution to a permanent problem. in my mind, if the spores are on your...

Source(s): mold killing paint 10pts: https://tr.im/DuHQQ
  • ?

You need to report this because that mold you are seeing is probably very dangerous. You can't just paint over it and have it go away. I had a mold problem in my basement. They had to remove everything in the basement and bleach the entire basement...plus, use a special machine to sand all the surfaces. Fixing a mold problem is very expensive. The basement cost $6000! So, they are probably trying to do a quick fix.

If you report this, they have to fix it and they can't kick you out.

There is a product by a company called Zinsser , and also Killz. There is ceiling paint and regular paint. It prevents mildew, mould, and odours. The paint is pure white and cannot be tinted. It really helps and it will control the problem. Good luck

Source(s): Paint associate at a big box store

mold resistant paint may help Kiltz primer is pretty good at home depot

Source(s): HVAC Engineer
  • JerryJ

There is mold resistant paint. The only way to combat mold is to remove the wall and install new.