If homosexuals go to hell for not turning from sin, wouldn't the divorced too?

So, what about the divorced/remarried folks, they too are going to hell, unless they turn from their sin by remaining celibate? Correct?

Matthew 5:32, " anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 19:9 states the same thing

Luke 16:18 same thing

1 Corinthians 6:9 says homosexuals AND adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of God.

So, considering the divorce rate is over 50% in our country...why aren't the religious folks railing against this sin.

This is over 50% of our country doomed for eternity in hell unless they turn from their sin by remaining celibate. I think you fundies need to start preaching the word...dontcha think?

Churches rail against the gay part of 1 Corinthians 6:9 but, skip right over this part that affects so many more of their church members...why the double standard? Afraid of alienating over 50% of your congregation?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Shhhhhhhhh.... Christian literalism will NOT be allowed in America.

LOL

Hypocrites!

They gay bash very hatefully yet can't their OWN pants on!

@Daniel Smith: Gays are in God's image or there is no God. Prove me wrong. Bigot.

Source(s): -atheist ex xian -gay and actively "sodomizing"
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

That is a good question. The Bible does have some exceptions where divorce is excusable, such as cases of adultery. However, divorce would rarely if ever be the right choice, because of God's example of forgiveness between himself and Israel.

That aside, many Christians are very against divorce and did indeed rail against it around he time that it became legal for people to get divorced simply because they don't want to be married. The reason we don't now is not so much because we don't care, but because there are bigger issues on the table and we have already lost that battle anyway.

The reason Christians are fighting homosexual marriage so strongly right now is because thy still have a chance to reverse it. We will probably lose, but it would be wrong to just let it happen.

One more point to make is that many consider homosexuality to be worse than divorce for this reason. Divorce is looked at as a relatively quick act. Once done, it is difficult to undo. But homosexuality is a constant defiance of God and some would even say that it is a worse one. However, I would like to correct the people that claim that gays will go to hell simply for that one thing. Romans 3: 23 says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. So we would all go to Hell, except that God is willing to forgive us for ALL of our sins. Yes, even Homosexuality.

• 8 years ago

You have some good questions, but the problem is that you're too quick to say "going to hell".

I don't believe gay people are going to hell any more than I think fat people are or divorced people are.

Do I think they're living out God's best plan? No. I think remarriage after divorce is the same as gay marriage, i.e., not God's best plan but a union that can be blessed and used to honor God.

I agree with the whole concept that Christians act like homosexuality is a worse sin than others,and that we need to be more accepting of it. I just disagree that most Christians are so quick to deem someone else as "going to hell".

• 8 years ago

Anyone who rejects the free gift of salvation from Jesus will end up in hell. It doesn't matter whether the sin is homosexual activity, fornication, adultery, or stealing an extra cookie from the cookie jar.

Adultery is not skipped over, but people engaged in adultery are not asking us to celebrate their sin. They are not asking us to redefine marriage to suit a special group of people.

There are Christian churches that refuse to accept second marriages under certain circumstances.

Asking Christians to use one sinful behavior to excuse another is the sign of someone desperately trying to justify their own sins.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Chris
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Sin is sin, and Jesus will forgive all. I agree that divorce is bad, and should definitely be a talking point... I suffered through it due to unfaithfulness on the part of my ex, however, I believe that it can be forgiven.

Don't forget the woman by the well... how many husbands had she had? There's been prostitutes and "worse" who have been saved by Jesus.

• Ano
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

From what i understand, the bible states that everyone is going to hell. Just every christian thinks they are the special case who will get Jesus's forgiveness and ascend into heaven. They are all greedy selfish bastards who arent going anywhere !

Look at what the Christian 'Morning Sparrow' is saying ! He says fat people will go to hell as well... But i guess its for the best, they could burn off a few calories. =)

• Jim
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Unbelievers are not commanded to turn from sin. Unbelievers are commanded to turn TO Christ. Christ then makes them alive by the Spirit and enables them by the power of the Spirit to turn from sin. Do you really expect sinners to turn away from sin by their own power? Did Jesus command the dead to get up before He made them alive? No, He made them alive first and then commanded them to arise. Spiritually dead people cannot turn from their sin. Romans 8:7 tells us, "Because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, FOR IT IS NOT EVEN ABLE TO DO SO." And so any kind of sinner will not, nor cannot, turn from their sin unless the have been made alive by the power of the gospel first. So make sure people have resurrection life first. And then tell them how to live a resurrected life.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Withholding sex from your spouse is marital unfaithfulness. The majority of divorces are for valid reasons.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Watch them pretend like one sin is worse than another when they are the same ones who say god sees all sins equally. lol

• 8 years ago

that not true. we are all born into this world dead in our sins, if we remain in this state hell is our home. if we chose to come to God through faith in Jesus we are made alive together with Christ alive spiritualy this is what salvation is all about LIFE

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.