Why are Londoners more laid back compared to Americans?

I'm from the U.S (Southern California) and I've always had an interest in Ireland/Scotland/England as that is where my family originated from. I have friends/family over there and decided to take a visit to London for 12 days. While I was there I noticed everyone was far more relaxed compared to... show more I'm from the U.S (Southern California) and I've always had an interest in Ireland/Scotland/England as that is where my family originated from. I have friends/family over there and decided to take a visit to London for 12 days. While I was there I noticed everyone was far more relaxed compared to Americans.

Everyone had loads more respect for each other and it basically seemed like a "peace zone" compared to the violence in America (not including the recent Tottenham riots, but even those were tame compared to say, the Watts riots in LA). There were no fake smiles or fake attitudes, everyone seemed extremely genuine compared to Americans. All my friends in the states tried to feed me horror stories about how London was some violent crime hole, but I walked down the streets in Camden Lock around 2-3 AM, drunk, and had no problems whatsoever. The worst I got while over there was some African muttering "sucker" under his breath as I passed, I turned back and asked him the time, he showed me his cellphone clock, it was almost comical.

Ran into someone who was coked up and was dancing too close to us, and another belligerent African who was a street beggar, but was all talk. I only really ran into those 3 encounters when I made it a point to venture out into the pokier areas just to see how they were like.

If I walk into a bar in America, someone comes up to fight with me within 10-15 minutes. I'm about 6'2 280 and am very broad/lift weights so in American bars everyone wants to prove themselves to their gf and "fight the big man" (it's a U.S cultural thing). In England, I went to 25-30 pubs and received no problems in any whatsoever. Worst I found was not being allowed into one because there were too many guys and not enough girls ("mixed groups" only I think they called it), but once again they were Paki/African bouncers and I gave them a piece of my mind, lol.

Everything just seemed to make more sense in London. There was a lot of common sense that was lacking in America. People didn't seem to judge you the way Americans would, or at least they didn't show it. In America, public areas are usually tense, with gazes quickly snapping away when they make eye contact, everyone in the states has a very aggressive feel and they all feel very threatened due to the culture of fear here so they puff up wherever they go.

One thing I definitely miss is the ability to start conversations in the pubs in London. This is very hard in American bars, you need to be in a group or wearing the latest fashion trend, etc. or you will likely be blown off. Americans in general also don't hold very good conversations for the most part compared to the people I met in London. I could talk about any topic and they'd still be on my level about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying London is some extreme utopia, I know there are jerks around like there are in any other place of the world, but after you've lived in an area like Orange County where everything is miles and miles away, people seal themselves into their cars and have 0 social interactions, 0 night life, 0 sociability, complete fear, and 100% aggression, you'd see what I mean.

American women walk around with money scales in one hand and a fashion magazine to judge you by in the other, pretty much. The women I met in London were far more open to conversation and seemed like genuine people. They didn't assume you were out to shag them immediately after simply striking up a conversation. They seemed a lot more independent and had actual personalities.

Almost every male in America from ages 13-25 walks around posturing and aggressively strutting around as if they are about to swing at you at any minute. And many of the women here in the states are either extremely brain dead or are after your wallet (or both). I get that there are those types everywhere but even your millies/chavs seemed more intelligent than American valley girls or our disgusting "wiggers".

There was a permeating sense of "realism" all throughout the city of London, from the old buildings to the black cab drivers who had been doing the job for 20+ years. I was very frustrated and angry to return to America, and I hope one day I can move to the UK after I finish my education.

This has been a long question so if you've read this far, I thank you. Why do you think Londoners are far more relaxed than Americans and what do you see good about America? I met many people who said they really wanted to vacation in LA/New York etc. but I couldn't imagine why.
Update: Received a threat as a first answer due to me mentioning Africans. Fyi I'm trained in Krav Maga (Israeli Martial Arts), so please, no more silly fight threats ;)

Lets see some opinions from real Londoners! :)
Update 2: @ Reese. I originally visited Greenwich to see the pogues concert. I went all over London pretty much. But once again I want to restate that I never praised London as a utopia, just that even your "bad areas" compared to boring/violent America are better in contrast.
Update 3: Fyi, I tried to stay out of the tourist areas as much as possible, and most of my trip was planned on the advice of random black cabs I'd take. I'd ask them for advice on the best pubs etc. that tourist would never touch where the real locals were. I even went into Brixton at one point. I didn't purposely travel... show more Fyi, I tried to stay out of the tourist areas as much as possible, and most of my trip was planned on the advice of random black cabs I'd take. I'd ask them for advice on the best pubs etc. that tourist would never touch where the real locals were. I even went into Brixton at one point. I didn't purposely travel out of my way to a single tourist attraction, I was mainly there for the nightlife, pubs, and to see the true London.