What is a polite greeting for someone you truly dislike?

I don't want to be rude when I run into people I truly dislike and don't care about. Generally, I simply try to avoid such people. However, there are social situations where contact is unavoidable and I need to say something to them before I excuse myself from the conversation circle. "Good to see you." or "How have you been?" are lines I would really rather not use. I do not wish anyone ill, but I have no interest in pretending to like or care about certain people. Any suggestions?

These people know how I feel. I don't want to bring outsiders into it when I'm in a social setting and conversational contact is unavoidable. There's no reason to make others aware of, or uncomfortable by, our situation. Ignoring them in a circle of 5-6 people would certainly make for an awkward moment for everyone. I need one line that would simply acknowledge them - besides "hello".

Favorite Answer

Just look them in the eye and cool-y say, "Hello_____" (call them by name), before turning away to converse with someone you *do* like, or excusing yourself entirely from the conversation circle.

The reason you want to look them in the eye *and* call them by name is to show that, while you may dislike them, you are not intimidated by them, and you know perfectly well who -- and *what*-- they are.

A simple "hello" is fine. You could also just address the crowd with a general "Good Morning" or what ever is appropriate. You don't need to make a point of ignoring them, especially in a group, just focus your attention elsewhere. As long as your tone is neutral you should not have any problems. Just keep it generic and professional. If you give no emotion, you won't get any.

• pat z

A simple "Hello" should suffice. Frankly, I avoid having to speak to people I truly dislike (fortunately very few and far away). When unavoidable, "Hello" is still more than sufficient.

How about no lines? Let your face and tone do the talking for you. A cold, sterile "Hello" is far more jarring than an underhanded greeting. Pretend like you're saying hello to a piece of roadkill.

• Tom K

A simple "hello" will suffice. "Good to see you" would be hypocritical. And "how have you been?" would invite an unwanted exchange.

Try an old joke greeting ...such as how's your belly for spots ..etc !!

Source(s): family expression ..handed down

Why be two faced? If you don't like them it is better they know it. Just tell them. Then they will avoid you.