how do you resize a hard drive with bad sectors in such a way that only the "good" part is used?

The only way I could think of to do this would be to create a small partition and keep increasing the size while scanning it each time in chkdsk until I find a size that "hits" the bad sectors, but this would be incredibly time consuming so I want to know if there's a program out there that would partition the drive to it's maximum "bad sector-free" size and leave the rest of the drive's space unallocated.

Before anyone asks, this drive doesn't have any mission critical information on it, and I just want to make it somewhat usable for the hell of it, so I'm not concerned about data loss.

Serious answers from skilled computer users only, please.

I know, this is a difficult question to answer, but I'm hoping that someone on here knows.

• Techno
    Favorite Answer

It's actually quite easy☺

Running Checkdisk (chkdsk) will mark bad sectors as unavailable, therefore stopping the system from using them...

Click Start (then Run in XP) and type (in the search bar in Vista/Win 7)

CMD

Hit Enter/Return, then type this in the command window

chkdsk /r

Hit Enter/Return, tap 'Y' then Enter/Return to run the scan at the next boot.

Type EXIT and re-start.

© arou42

• melody

This Tool will do what you want.

++ Free partition manager for Windows 32 bit & 64 bit HOME USERS. No Adware and Toolbar.

New! Safely free merge adjacent partitions into one without data loss.

Extend system partition to maximize computer performance.

Partition Manager utility for better hard disk management and computer performance maximization.

Copy Wizard to copy partition or migrate entire hard disk to another without Windows system reinstallation.

Use with EaseUS Todo Backup Free to ensure personal PC's performance and data security.

* Disk surface test to check and find bad sectors and rebuild MBR to boot system again.

Download Free

From Here ------------> http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

'

Source(s): ++ Publishers Description