What is the best route to get into a Medical School In California?

I'm attending CSULB as a freshman & majoring in biology.I didnt apply to any UC's because i didnt take any of the SAT subject tests/ACT plus writing. I could've easily gotten into 3 UC's. It's too late now to apply. Anyways, i want to be a doctor when i get older. Are the chances higher to get into a Med school by going to a UC or through a CSU? Since i'm going to a CSU should: (1)i only attend the first year THEN go to a Community college the second year to get into/transfer to a UC my Junior year? OR (2) should i try to transfer from a CSU to a UC? or (3) apply for med school from a CSU?

PLEASE HELP!

Favorite Answer

Your GPA may be higher in a CSU than in a UC, but your MCAT score may be lower.

You may be interested to know the average 26.9 MCAT score for Biology Majors is the lowest for any identified Major. The average MCAT score [added: for students who apply to Medical School] is 28, and the average for Physics/Engineering Majors is 31.2.

It's unlikely you will be admitted to a Medical School. Your Biology degree will be nearly useless for career purposes. You should be choosing a Major that both overlaps/facilitates pre-med courses AND offers good career prospects in case you don't make it to Medical School.

ADDED

"Don't listen to PE2008 either... almost everything he said is basically bullshit."

Sigh... MrBluesky11's misinformed statements need to be challenged:

[Mrbluesky11 writes]: "The average MCAT also is not a 28, it's a standardized exam, the average score per section is scaled to ~8, meaning the statistical average is scaled to ~24-25. That's sort of how a standardized exam typically works."

According to AAMC's own statistics, the average MCAT scores for applicants in 2010 was 28.3, with a Standard Deviation of 5.5. The average MCAT score of admitted medical students was 31.2, with an SD of 4.1. For purposes of THIS question, the average including students who never apply to Medical School, is irrelevant. Mrblueslkyll is being pedantic, disingenuous or is severely befuddled.

https://www.aamc.org/download/161692/data/table18-...

[Mrbluesky11 writes] "As for a biology degree being useless if you don't go into medicine... ANY basic science degree (which are the only ones that "facilitate" pre-med courses) is useless if you don't go into medicine or grad school"

Wrong again. Several "basic" science degrees lead to productive careers with just a bachelor's degree. Computer Science is the obvious example. Physics grads can do well. The American Chemistry Society even "certifies" basic bachelor's degrees in Chemistry for immediate career prospects with just a bachelor's degree. Pharmaceutical Science is another useful "basic" degree. One very good degree which also "facilitates" pre-med is Chemical/Biochemical Engineering — but I guess mrbluesky11 will claim this is not basic enough...

[mrbluesky11 writes]"Going to CSU will yield a lower MCAT score?"

The premise here is that going to an intellectually challenging school is more likely to result in a higher MCAT score than going to an "easier" school — even for the same student. Otherwise, why not attend University of Phoenix? Incidentally, many Medical Schools do not recognize pre-med courses taken in community college, for the same reason.

The rest of mrbluesky's ill-tempered comments are similarly hilarious and easily shown to be mistaken... In view of these fundamental errors, I doubt mrbluesky11 is a real medical student.

If you are smart enough to get into medical school, then you are smart enough to get into medical school regardless of what you study or where you go to school.

Your chances may be higher if you are at a UC and you continue to do well. Regardless, actual performance will trump what school you go to 10 times out of 10.

Don't listen to PE2008 either... almost everything he said is basically bullshit. Going to CSU will yield a lower MCAT score? Probably won't get into medical school if you major in biology? If you can't get a high MCAT score as a CSU student, you won't be able to get one at UCLA either. And if you can get a high MCAT score at UCLA, you can get one at CSU. I can safely say that my own MCAT score (which was >35) had absolutely nothing to do with where I went to college or who taught me my med school pre-requisites (which I had taken FOUR years before I took my MCAT). The MCAT is like any other standardized test, give yourself 7-8 weeks and study your *** off from review books. As for a biology degree being useless if you don't go into medicine... ANY basic science degree (which are the only ones that "facilitate" pre-med courses) is useless if you don't go into medicine or grad school, so I'm not sure what you are suggesting. The average MCAT also is not a 28, it's a standardized exam, the average score per section is scaled to ~8, meaning the statistical average is scaled to ~24-25. That's sort of how a standardized exam typically works.

Edit:

PE2008, what are you exactly? A med student? An admissions committee faculty member? Have you ever applied to medical school or taken the MCAT in your life? If not, then how in any way are you qualified to talk about how to best prepare, or how one school will better prepare someone for it or not. Your little "it's more intellectually challenging theory!" looks good on paper, but it doesn't really work like that in reality. Just answer my question about whether you are a med student or an adcom. I'm legitimately curious.

Source(s): I'm a med student who has actually gone through the admissions process.