Matt
Lv 6
Matt asked in SportsBoxing · 9 years ago

Middleweight showdown. Carlos Monzon vs Bernard Hopkins. Who wins?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Matt, thank you for your message my friend much appreciated!

Monzon doesn't look spectacular on film but he never lost to a world class opponent. He lost three in his first year as a pro and then went from 1964-1977 without a loss.

He had a somewhat listless style but he was sound defensively, had good power, great ring craft and a solid chin. He held the middleweight title for seven years before retiring as undisputed champion.

Monzon is one of the big four: Greb, Hagler Monzon and Robinson are four men, as Galactus says, that should be anybodies top four all time great middleweights, whatever order you have them in they should be the top four. All make a strong case for number one and all could hold wins over the others.

Hopkins in my opinion doesn't crack the top four, although he comes close, I rank him sixth with LaMotta at number five.

You could make a good case for Hopkins not having lost since Jones Jr in 1993 because every loss since then has been an SD.

He was one of the most dominant middleweight champions of all time, holding the title for nine years and making 20 successful defenses. He is also a great older fighter, still one of the world top light heavyweights in his forties. He too isn't always exciting but he has great ring craft and defense and is a master of controlling the pace of a fight. He is a tough fight for anybody because even if they beat him they don't look good doing it!

It may be a boring fight but it would be close and I would pick Monzon to edge the decision.

Monzon UD15.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Hopkins easily beat boxers that were not so quick and/or relied on punching power ,but have a problem with slick boxers with footwork and fast hands like Joe Calzaghe ,Jermaine Taylor ,and a prime Roy Jones Jr. ,so Bernard Hopkins beat boxers that were not so quick and relied a lot on power like Felix Trinidad ,Antonio Tarver ,and Kelly Pavlik ,and Carlos Monzon had a style that was most similar to theirs.

Bernard Hopkins by comfortable UD.

• I am Joshua Mbngo Dmbungo TONGUE-CLICK Jnr. Jnr.

Hopkins is the sweet scientist, the man with the great boxing brain who can use the ring better than anybody in his generation. Monzon? He wouldn't care. He'd ram that jab out and crunch that right hand where ever he could and he wouldn't at any point get hurt by B-Hop.

Monzon may look simple but nobody could work him out. I pick him to get outboxed early but not change anything, just up the intensity. He eventually saps Hopkins reserves and sweeps the last rounds, taking the UD from a bloodied B-Hop.

TONGUE-CLICK!

• 9 years ago

Hopkins

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

IMO, they were that close, so it would depend on where they fought. Europe goes to Monzon and US to Hopkins. I think Monzon was the harder puncher, while Hopkins the better all around fighter.

• 9 years ago

monzon eeks out a decision over b hop.

• 9 years ago

i say bernard hopkins

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.