Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 9 years ago

Why does the FDA approve of High Fructose Corn Syrup in our foods?

Americans used to be some of the thinnest people in the world. We only used to have a 15% obesity rate and a 45% overweight rate. Today we have a 33% obesity rate and a 71% rate of obesity, and a lot of it has been caused by the FDA approving of things like MSG and HFCS that are extremely unhealthy for you. Why are we using this knowing that it is bad. (I want an educated answer not the typical because the FDA is stupid or we live in america what do you think type of answer. sound smart.)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think the FDA should be the fat police. The responsibility rests with consumers to make healthy choices. Frankly, we should all want the freedom to make our own decisions, good or bad, as long as we're not hurting other people.

The evidence about the dangers of HFCS is mixed. Some studies say HFCS is worse than sucrose (table sugar), while others say a high-sugar diet from any source is unhealthy and can cause obesity.

Chemically, HFCS and sucrose aren't that different. HFCS is about 55% fructose and 45% glucose, while table sugar is 50% fructose. So-called healthy sweeteners, like agave nectar, can be as much as 92% fructose. Fruit, which everyone seems to overeat in the pursuit of better health, is fructose.

I do believe that fructose in large quantities is unhealthy and cause obesity and high triglycerides, but I'm not so sure that HFCS is a greater culprit than any other sugar product on the market. A lot of people really seem to dislike it simply because it's unnatural, but something being natural doesn't necessarily make it healthier. The real problem with HFCS is just that it's cheap, so a lot more of it can be put into foods that would either have a little sugar or no sugar at all.

• 9 years ago

The FDA has been bought off by the food manufacturers. Sugar cane used to be used, but the sugar cane farmers here didn't like the US importing sugar from other countries. So they lobbied for tariffs and the cost of sugar went way up. The food manufactures discovered corn sugar, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup were much cheaper to use and tasted about the same.

Years ago, Coke changed the formula and called it "New Coke". Well, there was such a fuss that they claimed they were returning the old Coke as Classic Coke. The big difference was the Classic Coke now contained HFCS instead of sugar. Yuck. The only "real" old fashioned Coke is the imported Coke from Mexico or the 2 liter bottle with the yellow cap that is labeled "Kosher for Passover"

• 9 years ago

Because they're mean

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

A carb is a carb is a carb !

it doesn't matter where you get your carbs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

if you don,t like it; don,t eat it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.