Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

This woman asked me for coffee, but i don't drink coffee?

I have known this woman for a week already, i met her through mutual friends. She is really beautiful and the perfect woman for me, we have so much in common it is unbelievable. Now she just called me and asked me if i would like to get coffee with her tomorrow at Starbucks. I agreed to it and now we are going to get coffee.

There is one huge problem, i do not even like coffee. I hate the taste of coffee, i only agreed so i wouldn't looked stuck up. Now i have to suffer tomorrow with the smell of coffee, and i may have to drink some coffee too just to please her. I don't want her to be the only person having a drink, i dont want to be rude. I hate my life so far, why do bad things have to happen to me. What should i do tomorrow to get through this, i hate coffee that much and i always will.

• Favorite Answer

You are taking this invitation far too literally! When someone asks you out for coffee, they are not specifying the actual beverage they want you to consume!! It's merely code for arranging an outing together at a coffee shop (well, sometimes it can be code for something else, but in this case, it's an outing).

There is no need to stress over this at all, meet her at Starbucks, order another beverage (tea, fruitdrink, smoothie, water, whatever!!). She's honestly not going to be scrutinising whether or not you order actual "coffee"! She really just wants to be with you! Enjoy!!

They sell other stuff besides coffee! Go onto their website and read their menu now so you know what you want to order. They probably have tea but they also have drinks labeled as having no coffee in them for people who dont want coffee. You should be adult enough to be around the smell of coffee. Most normal people drink coffee or at least can be around it without a problem. Dont discuss coffee when you see her. Meaning dont tell her all about how you hate it or dont like the smell etc. If she makes any comment about you not drinking a coffee at that time just tell her you are trying to drink less caffeine or that you prefer tea or whatever over coffee. Dont start going on and on like you did here about hating coffee (especially if she is drinking coffee!).

I'm sure Starbucks offers something other than ONLY coffee drinks... tea or hot cocoa even? I have never been to a Starbucks myself (due to lack of availability and I am like you... dislike coffee!).

However, it is FINE to have agreed to meet at the Starbucks. If NOTHING else, you can ask for a cup of ice water, and buy a biscotti or something to go along.

When you are finished with your introductory chatting, simply tell your lady-friend, "Now that we have the coffee done with, would you like to go for some lunch?" (or a ride, or whatever the next activity may be)

If she asks why you are not drinking coffee, you happily tell her, "Oh, I don't really care for the flavor, but that's okay! They have great water (cocoa, tea...whatever) here, too!" And just move on with the conversation. Not everyone likes coffee, but Starbucks just happens to be a good place to meet people and such. There's no shame in it.

I'm lucky that my boyfriend does not care for coffee either. But even if he did, I have no problem in his having "his" drink (which he does anyhow... LOVES Dr. Pepper!) and I mine... iced tea!

Have a polite day.

Etiquette takes over where laws end.

• Kai

I believe Starbucks sells teas and maybe other things to drink (maybe in bottles?). Don't make a bit issue about it, lots of us no longer do coffee (or tea) and don't get executed because of it. This is NOT a bad thing, it's a good thing. Even if you don't order anything, you get a chance to spend a little time with this "perfect" woman, get to know her better. If she points out that you're not getting anything, just tell her you aren't a coffee drinker but just wanted to see her again. And if you keep thinking of yourself as a loser, this woman is not going to want to be around you very long so you need to change your attitude.

• fun

If the Starbucks you are going to has tables outside...sit there, that way you avoid the smell of coffee. And Starbucks have other things than just coffee, they have chocolate, they have this frapuccinos (they have one Strawberries and creme frapuccino...simply delicious ;) ) they might even have Tea.

Now....just change the attitude, try to be more positive, we all experience ups and downs in life ...but don't let those things define you and affect you. Good Luck!!

Not to worry. They have other drinks besides coffee. The menu is usually up above the counter. Get there early and read the menu.

Tell the lady that you don't care for coffee but you wanted to meet with her. She will not mind at all.

Just go to Dunkin Donuts and get a large black coffee. That's all you do. Just tell her you don't drink coffee, its not the end of the world.

Get a smoothie and explain that you've never really cares for coffee. She was really just asking you to, well for lack of a betyer word "hang out". I doubt she will even think your stuck up, she may even apologize, just tell her its fine because smoothies are good too :)

You also have some anxiety that you need to put into check...Don't they sell other drinks at starbucks beside coffee?....You are stressing over nothing. It is not that serious. Just breathe and take it easy..You will do just fine....Relax:)

i think starbucks has smoothies so get a smoothie. a great way to impress her is to go to starbucks then tell her u don't like coffee but u came because she was just too beautiful to say no to. ;)