Could I use an Automatic Transfer Switch with a solar or wind system as the main power source?

I've never used an Automatic Transfer Switch but someone recommended one to me for my solar/wind system which doesn't provide enough power to be a stand alone source of power.. The idea is to use it only when there is enough power and it would (hopefully) switch to secondary power ie the power company. ... show more I've never used an Automatic Transfer Switch but someone recommended one to me for my solar/wind system which doesn't provide enough power to be a stand alone source of power.. The idea is to use it only when there is enough power and it would (hopefully) switch to secondary power ie the power company. Any tips, suggestions, explanations, or corrections would be appreciated as I am new at this. Thank you for your time and energy to help a newbie.