Camping/Survival knifes?

What's the best campsite knife and survival knife?

What should I look for when I buy a good camping/ hiking knife?

Favorite Answer

A good multi tool is the best way to go. Something like the Leatherman Juice. They have just about everything you need in them to get you buy, and some things you probably wouldn't expect to use. Some Swiss Army knives are good to. Just check out all the features on the different ones. See what you think you will need.

You could always just get a giant Rambo knife but they are not as practical as you might think, unless you really know what to do with it. Besides, they are heavy.

• chris

As already stated the "best" by shear number of sales is a leatherman multitool. The reason for this is that for camping and in particular backpacking weight is a critical issue. You cannot possibly carry all the things you could use for every condition so you downsize and eliminate duplicity. Since a multi tool has all the features you could use in a smaller scale and a knife why carry more than you need to?

What should you look for? quality, ease of use, adaptability to your needs and you definitely pay for what you get!

i would go with a multi toll like a leather man if u have a lot of camping \ hiking but if u want to go basic get a swiss army knife it was one of the first knifes i owned and still is one of my most used. but really all depends on what you would be using it for and how much u are willing to spend. most likley if u go in to a local sporting shop they will help u pick out a good knife. also dodon'tet a cheap one u will regret it down the road. have had my fare share brake on me at camp.

Source(s): eagle scout
  • Mark M

Everybody has their own opinion on what makes a good camping and outdoor knife.

Some think that you need a multi-tool to fix gear. Frankly, I usually have one with me when I'm adventure camping, (specifically, a Leatherman Surge), to help with vehicle and gear repairs, but I don't carry one when camping or backpacking. I find they are too bulky and heavy on my belt to carry when hiking and backpacking. I could keep a multi-tool in my pack, but then what good would it do me if I am separated from my pack when I need it? And, in the woods, most of the tools (and therefore, weight) on a multi-tool provide no benefit, unless you are driving a Jeep, quad or other off-road vehicle, (and even then, I'd prefer real hand tools to a multi-tool).

Others believe a good camping/outdoor knife should be a medium fixed-blade knife capable of chopping and batoning wood for shelter and fire in an emergency. Something like a Short Ka-Bar, Ontario RAT-5 or Gerber LMF-II fixed-blade knife. My problem with this is the same as a multi-tool: it is not comfortable to keep on my belt, and so it's effectiveness as a survival tool is lost if I'm separated from my pack.

Most hikers and backpackers go with something that's easily carried in their pocket but can provide some basic necessities beyond a good knife blade. A Swiss Army Knife fills this bill nicely, as does some of the smaller Leatherman multi-tools. Things like a toothpick and tweezers see a lot more use than files and screwdrivers on the trails.

Ultimately you need to decide what your philosophy will be on knife carry. I developed mine through 35+ years of backpacking, hiking, camping, off-roading and daily carry. Throughout this process I've collected about 30 different knives and multi-tools. The one I carry every day, to the office and to the woods, is a Victorinox Swiss Army Compact.

There is no "best" because every body has different preferences and uses. The most useful knife for most people and purposes is a good quality (like Gerber or Buck) drop point lock back folding pocket knife with a blade no longer than 6" and a strong synthetic or other waterproof handle that fits comfortably in your hand. Best to try them out in a shop until you find one that fits you just right.

For a camping knife I would choose a good quality multi purpose tool. One with a pliers, blade, saw, bottle/can opener. Jeep has some with a led light built in and even one with room for a lighter. Check out at www.mysurvivalknife.ws

Start by typing "survival knife" in the Search Y! Answers box. Your question is asked daily.

When backpacking, I go light with a Victorinox. I like the Climber because I found the scissors handy as well as the other features that come with the knife. The reason that heavier gear may be purchased by more campers is that most campers are car-campers with no need to cut weight, travel light, and minimize impact on resources. Therefore, you need to buy the equipment that handles the tasks that are part of your personal camping experience and not follow the singular perspective of any expert.

Gerber Bear Grylls Knife. Not the huge one, a smaller sized one, sold at ***** and i believe dunhams sports. Costs 14.99 and absolutely worth it!! Extremely sharp when bought, and has a ton of saftey features like a lockback knifeblade:) i completely reccomend it! The only thing i have any problem with is it has no sheath, or clip so its hard to carry without pockets;(

Source(s): Me
  • Sam

I got a cool, cheap one at a gun show a few years ago.

It's probably 15-16 inches long --- blade and handle.

You can store stuff in the handle but you can also attach it to a stick to make it into a spear.

Now, a spear is a very good survival tool indeed.

a leatherman multi tool can be pretty useful and maybe a larger 3.5 inch folder. kershaw, kabar, SOG