How to respond to wedding invitation if my husband can't attend...?

My husband and I were invited to a wedding and my husband can't attend but I will be going. I received a formal invitation today, made out to Mr. & Mrs. John Smith. How should I fill out the response card? It has that M_______ line, should it say Mrs. John Smith or Mrs. Jane Smith accepts with pleasure?

Best Answer

You are technically supposed to use the same wording, so you should put Mrs. John Smith and if you want to be sure you could put 1 beside it in parenthesis or be sure to put 1 in the dinner/meal box if it is indicated. Or if they are good friends, you could even though may not be perfect etiquette, you could put a short note as to why John can't attend if you wish to, don't have to.

Mrs. Jane Smith, since you will being the only one going

Use your name on that line. Mrs. Jane Smith

are you planning on going alone? If yes then I would respond as "Mrs. Jane Smith" and if you have to choose a meal make sure you put a "1" down under what meal you want.

technically,you are mrs john smith - if its a formal invite,it would have followed this.either would be fine though