Just purchased an orchid. Can I repot in, in normal soil?

I purchased it and was planning on putting it in a new container with soil but after I opened it, it was potted in bark? I read up online and that seems to be the medium to pot orchids in.... Can I repot it in soil?

• Phil
    Favorite Answer

Normal soil is a no no, bark and spaghnum moss are fine! go to youtube.com and punch in orchid care and you will see a video detailed to show you, how to take care of your orchids!

• Terry

Put it in the new container, but don't use soil. Perhaps you can just slip the existing container inside the new one? Orchids don't need a lot of medium to grow in or much root space.

it doesn't need repotted.... the shock could kill it right now....do like the other post said, just tuck its pot into one you like and lay some moss over to hide the deed.... and no, soil isn't what it needs.... orchids don't grow in the ground, they grow on trees, on the bark of trees.....learn about orchid care before you do anything.....

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp...

Not if you want it to live. You will have to buy special orchid compost. 